Guide Me
star_border

CTR problem: QS:8, strict Match, good ads but CTR 0.18%

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

CTR problem:

QS:8, Strict Match, Avg Pos. 3.1, impr. no.1 and very high (10 times no.2 keyword). Lots of different relevant ads that get clicks from related keywords.

But CTR 0.18% Other keywords are all well above CTR 2%  What could cause this ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martijn O
September 2015

Re: CTR problem: QS:8, strict Match, good ads but CTR 0.18%

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Martijn.

Not that I want to interfere between a two Dutch residents Smiley Happy, but are you, by any chance, running a combined search & display campaign or targeting search partners as well? Because a CTR of 0.18% and a QS of 8 makes me think that you are, and the CTR you're seeing is an average on both search and display (or maybe even search, display and partners, though partners + search could also yield a lot of impressions).

The Keyword planner gives me an estimation of roughly 150 impressions for [grote maten], with a 1.20 bid and a whopping 1000/day budget for Google Search alone.

I think, though I may be wrong, that [grote maten] is triggering your ads either on the display network or on some search partner (ebay for instance).

Have a look at the "Segment - Network (with search partners)" section and check your CTR for each segment. I doubt it's 0.18% on search, with that QS.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Is this a new campaign? Because a new keyword will be given a QS based on average performance. If your CTR is 0,18% you'll find your QS dropping fast.

Now all keywords have different meanings to those who are searching. They are far from equal - and you should cosset your best ones and dump ones that aren't performing. Howie Jacobson (he of Google Adwords for Dummies fame) goes into some detail about what to look for in a low performing keyword that needs some extra input.

Does this help, or is there anything you can add to clarify your situation?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will give you the details. You being Dutch, will undersatand ;-)
Keyword:[grote maten] Max Cpc 1.18 Impr.:11,411 CTR:0.18% Avg Pos.:3.1 QS :8/10 FP bid:0.53 Top Page:€1.18
Keyword:[grote maten mode] Max Cpc:€1.00 Impr.:411 CTR:6.81% Avg Pos.:4.5 QS:7/10 FP bid: €0.73 Top Page:€1.28
What is going on ????

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Martijn, actually I'm South African, but you gets the idea! My first point is who's looking for [grote maten] (me for one, I'm tall - so if I find something it's a case of "buy it before someone else gets the chance!!"). You've had 11k impressions - in a very competitive market.

Now [grote maten mode] you've only got 411 impressions - oops! But what a CTR!!! Nearly 7% -that's truly impressive (given what I see on Dutch search ... which is frankly dire).

I'm going to stick with these metrics for now, as if you can move the needle in any way with this, it'll give you other ideas that'll make other things fall in place.

So: you've got a great clickthrough rate on a very narrow niche - have you tried any remarketing to see where else they're going and seeing if there's anything else they might like.

Secondly - your low CTR with a massive set of impressions. How can you narrow this search - the dimensions tab should be useful here. And your analytics files. Work out who's clicking - at least you've got 200 or so clicks to start the process and reverse engineer this and use them as negative keywords. Do a Google search for the first 10 pages and pick up anything you find there and add it - it's surprising what you'll find!

How long have these campaigns been running? A 0.2% CTR will crash your QS if you're not careful, and you've got 8/10 right now - so either you're actually doing quite well with that CTR or there's something else going on.

The other thing that gets me is the difference between the two searches! I'm wondering if you couldn't do a phrase match on your grote maten mode rather than exact match. You may find more people that way - take care and make sure you've got a stack of negative keywords that'll fashion your customers for you. Somewhere in the middle of those two searches is your market - reasonable amount of searchers, good clicks and a good click price.

Have you looked at where they're clicking? Cities, countryside, are you advertising in Belgium? (etc, etc, etc).

Have a think about this and we'll chat tomorrow.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martijn O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Martijn.

Not that I want to interfere between a two Dutch residents Smiley Happy, but are you, by any chance, running a combined search & display campaign or targeting search partners as well? Because a CTR of 0.18% and a QS of 8 makes me think that you are, and the CTR you're seeing is an average on both search and display (or maybe even search, display and partners, though partners + search could also yield a lot of impressions).

The Keyword planner gives me an estimation of roughly 150 impressions for [grote maten], with a 1.20 bid and a whopping 1000/day budget for Google Search alone.

I think, though I may be wrong, that [grote maten] is triggering your ads either on the display network or on some search partner (ebay for instance).

Have a look at the "Segment - Network (with search partners)" section and check your CTR for each segment. I doubt it's 0.18% on search, with that QS.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
AdWizer

thankyou for your observations, I was going to do what you did last night was but too tired to. Your analysis has the ring of truth to it.

Question is - how to get some decent clicks and traffic.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
One can't force traffic on search, right?

All one can hope for is to capture as much of the impression share available and keep working on bids and ads in order to maximize the clicks. So, in my view, impression share & auction insights may come in handy at this stage (once the display/search partners mix is confirmed).

Maybe the CTR on search alone is decent as well and that's all that's available for [grote maten] with exact match.

And if search alone doesn't cut the mustard, maybe it's time for a well-targeted display campaign, just to draw attention to the website. Followed by remarketing for the visitors with a level of interest above a certain threshold.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gemma,
First of all: baie baie dankie ! Sorry for the "Dutch" assumption... Should have known better ( live in BE but am Dutch ;-))
Did you send some adwords karma my way ? CTR up to 0.5% ! ;-)
Running the adds two fold, high bid Amsterdam area, low bid rest of the country.
Both regions showing same pattern...
They are branched off adgroups and as such 6 days old.
How will the negative keywords effect exact match keyword matches ?
I will try the phrase match and let you know.
I will look into the remarketing and the dimensions....
Thanks a lot for your advise !
Best Regards, Martijn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No problem about the assumptions - it's when people assume I'm a donkey that annoys me. Everything else is forgiven and forgotten. You'd hear it when I speak - when I first came to Holland they all said "do you speak English, we can't understand you". It could have just been me ...

What are your thoughts on Adwiser's advice? I think he's on the nail.

As to negatives for Grote Maten - someone may well be looking for Grote Maten Boor but forgot to put the last word in because on Google it personalizes your search. Your ad may still show however.

I'd do a small test - say den Haag or somewhere where mistakes aren't going to cost you too much. Then try a phrase match campaign, add and deduct your negatives to fine tune your traffic. Once it's showing a healthy profit, roll it out across the country, and tailor it again.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for interfering AdWiser ! It is indeed coming from the search partners....
Thanks a lot !
Doubled all my campaigns to create non search partner campaigns. Left the adgroups that are getting clicks from partners enabled and paused the ones that did not and vice versa. Adgroups are very detailed I might add.