2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CTR on Broad Match - Does it Matter?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If "we take into account the exact match CTR of the keyword, as it’s a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword" https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Sco... 

then what is the importance of the CTR on the broad match searches of your broad match keywords? For example if my keyword is "example" and I make it broad match, I know that the CTR on the search term "example" will affect my quality score but will the search term "example xyz" affect my quality score?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: CTR on Broad Match - Does it Matter?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Timothy,

The QS on broad match that you see when you are using the UI is the QS for that keyword if the user's query exactly matched your broad match keyword. The QS for each keyword is calculated each time you look at your reports and applies to that particular moment in time. When you are looking at these numbers for your keyword "example" as broad match assumes the search query was "example".

If the search query was "example xyz", then the QS would calculated at that time for your keyword "example" and would certainly have an effect on the QS for that particular query. Those actual numbers are not revealed at any time.

In a sense, every search query affects the QS of all your keywords, but do not affect the QS that you see when you are looking at the UI. The CTR of your keyword will also affect your QS, once the keyword has triggered your ad for at least 1000 impressions. At that point, "example xyz" can start to affect the QS that you see, but that calculation is still based on the exact term.

By adding negative keywords to the ad grop or campaign, you can limit the number of impressions for unrelated queries. This should have the effect of improving your CTR, which in turn can improve your QS for the keyword.

I don't use any single words as keywords as most of the time that will trigger a large number of ad impressions for completely unrelated queries. (I know, this is just and example) And, I always use BMM, with + signs in front of each word in the keyword phrase.

I hope this clears things up a bit for you.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Timothy; Welcome to Adwords community;

This is a great question; and you get a "special star" for the question (rarely happens: You had searched the Community for a reference article before posting - our ultimate goal ...Smiley Happy

We need to distinguish between the calculation of CTR and the number of clicks you get;

As explained, in the article by Tanmay, "the exact match CTR refers to the number of times the keyword has triggered an ad when the search term exactly matched the keyword". However, your goal, (a major one - to be precise), as an advertiser, is to get as many clicks as you can get (that, eventually, will be transformed into conversions).

Since the introduction of the broad match modifier, I personally, tend to use less and less, the broad match. It brings many impressions, but not as many clicks.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear @Timothy

Pete and Moshe have pretty much covered it.

However, I do want to point out that CTR still has a couple of implications - not technical ones, but marketing ones...

1) If you look at the search query report or the other keywords you've created in different match types, you can get an idea based on CTR (e.g. if it's abysmally lower), how well/badly it's matching up to other terms, and how relevant those terms are

2) I would recommend that you look at the "auction insights tool", and see how well you are performing vs. your competitors. If your broad match is working fine, CTR performance will matter at the ad level - which ads are performing well or not.

I would recommend you look at the auction insights tool to see who is beating you at the exposure game, and identify what is "working" in their ad copy.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2579754

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response Pete and Moshe. I have a couple of more questions based on your responses.

What is the difference between the QS of all of your keywords (is this the account history factor?) and the QS that you see when you are looking at the UI (is this the keyword level QS?)?

Will the CTR on "example xyz" affect my quality score in any way (account history, keyword, etc.) if my keyword is "example" and I use broad match. How would it have any effect if quality score is based on the exact match CTR of the keyword?

Does using different match types, negative keywords or broad match modifier have the potential to affect quality score? How? Is it because of CTR or something else?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for opening this thread. I am also keen to get it straight from the experts if:

*keyword is individually graded and

*by any chance does not affect the total campaign standing

More Power To You All!

More Power,
Loraine

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Timothy,

Let me try again. The QS is calculated for each and every query, and is also calculated when you click on the keywords tab in the UI. When calculating for a query, all of the words in the query will affect the QS of each keyword. That QS you will never see.

When you are looking at the QS in the UI, that QS is based on the exact keyword. QS is only calculated on a keyword by keyword basis. There is no real QS for all your keywords as a group. When you are looking at the UI, that is the QS for each individual keyword and is calculated based on the exact keyword. It does not take into account variations of the keyword.

The account history factor is used for establishing QS for new keywords. Also figured into that score is the performanc eof that keyword across all accounts. Further, once you have 1000 or more impressions for any particular keyword, the CTR becomes a major factor in determining the QS for that keyword. Using different match types allows you to bid differently (usually higher) for the more restrictive match types as you have identified more precise keywords/phrases that have good CTR and, more importantly, a higher conversion rate.

Negative match removes variations of you broad and phrase match keywords that do not perform well. The improves the CTR and, if you have 1000 impressions or more on the broad match keyword, that improves the QS.

It's really not all that complicated. "Relevance" is Google's term for CTR, although they rarely admit that. They allow the users to determine the relevance. If a user enters a particular query then clicks on your ad, that's one vote for relevance of the keyword and the ad. Since ads don't get QS ratings, it's called "relevance" instead.

Oh, the short answer to your question: The CTR on "example xyz" can potentially affect the QS of "example" as broad match.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords