Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CTR is too low, hence Quality Scores are too low for almost all keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

For one of my campaign CTR is too low 0.13%, hence for almost all keywords ads are not showing due to low ads quality and quality score Smiley Sad. I am using search and display network, but 99% of clicks are coming from display networks. Please help me how can I improve CTR and QS as well so I can increase ROI.

Anand Vishwakarma
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: CTR is too low, hence Quality Scores are too low for almost all keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Avish,

avish wrote:

Hi everyone,

For one of my campaign CTR is too low 0.13%, hence for almost all keywords ads are not showing due to low ads quality and quality score Smiley Sad. I am using search and display network, but 99% of clicks are coming from display networks. Please help me how can I improve CTR and QS as well so I can increase ROI.

It looks like you are running Search and Display together in a single campaign. Let me know if that's not the case here.

First thing to do is to separate your Search and Display campaigns and run them separately. Reason being that users on search network are direct and respond directly in the sense that they will either call you or fill up the form on finding relevant and enough information which they are looking for. Display is different. Here, users are surfing through different websites of their own interest and you need to display ads which attract them and tend to encourage them to take some action.

The CTR which you are saying looks to be of Display Network. When you are on the Main Campaigns Tab, look at the bottom screen which gives info separately about Search and Display Networks. See it's really CTR of only Search which are talking about. If that's correct, then I must say it's a pretty serious issue and you have to work really hard to first try and get the Search CTR to atleast 1%.

Low CTR could also be due to excessive usage of Broad or Broad match modifier keywords. Look at the search terms and try to include the relevant terms in other match types i.e. Phrase and Exact. Also look for irrelevant queries and include them as negative keywords in order to get as much relevant traffic as you can.

In order to achieve good Quality Score, you main ingredient would be CTR. If you happen to maintain it in excellent way, you could see Quality Score improving in future.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Avish,

First of all, I would suggest you to have seperate campaign for Search and Display. Following are few reasons that I can think of right now:

-- When we run both network in same campaign, display quickly eat up budget of the campaign and search network did not get get enough chance to show ads. Bidding strategy is different in both cases. Display ads are few % lesser cpc then search ads. You can't allocate seperate bids for display campaign keywords on the basis of performance. Reporting and judgments are different.

Since both network approach are different, strategies are different too.

If you are approaching right audience search CTR should be above 1-2% and Display CTR usually are less then 1%. (Don't just stick to these numbers).

Getting Very Low CTR:

This raise few questions:

-- Are you approaching right audience?
-- Are you using all broad keywords?
-- Are you running specific adcopy that target right audience with right message?
-- Did you check search term report? Are the queries relevant?
-- Have you bifurcated adgroups in thighly themed adgroups?

Now Some general steps that required:

1)Split search and display campaigns.
2)Check search term report and add negative keywords which are not relevant.
3)If you are using all broad match keywords - Test Broad Match Modifier, exact and phrase keywords for more targeted audience.
4)Slowly, Try and improve campaign structure by bifurcation of keywords in to themed adgroups with specific adcopies.
5)Test Adcopies with enticing strong call to action. Try to incorporate keyword in adcopy but it should make sense in adcopy.
6) Bid aggresivly to get Good Average Position. May be initially you can kepp bids bit (only bit) high and once you stabilize in terms of performance you can slowly decrease bids.

Hope it Helps!

Thanks

Neha

Edit: @Pankaj: Fast Smiley Happy I was writing while you posted! 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Avish,

First of all i would like you to suugest, kindly create separte campaigns for Serach and Content network. Generally display network has low CTR than search network. If you will create separte campaign for both network then you can easily optimise your result and perfromance.

>>To imrove your CTR you need to do work on Quality Score which can affect your costs and ad position.

>>Try to create relevent ad copy per adgroup at least keep one main keyword in your ad title or description.

>>Keep your bid competitive, plz check first page bid estimation and Est. top page bid.

>> You need to improve your CTR, your Landing page.

>> kindly pause your under performing adcopy which getting high impression but very less clicks.

>> Check your Device settings, how well your ads have been performing on different types of devices, like desktops/laptops, mobile devices, and tablets - you get different Quality Scores for different types of devices.

I always try to create separte campaigns for both desktops/laptops and mobile/tablets. So that we can esaily judge the performance and take appropriate step.

You can visit those articles:

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce and What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores

Hope it will help you!

Edit.. >>> Today i am very slow.. Great suggestion Neha and Pankaj Smiley Happy

Thanks
Anchal

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Avish,

One thing that hasn't been covered here is segmenting your data by campaign type. This will give you stats on Google Search, Search Partners and the Display Network. The only ones that count toward your quality score (at least the QS you can see) is Google Search.  Search Partner performance is not considered when calculating QS.

The click-through rate is the most important factor for QS, regardless of enerything else you will see and read.

Keyword Relevance ~-= CTR for that keyword

Ad Relevance ~= CTR for that ad/keyword combination

Landing Page Relevance ~= CTR for that Keyword/Ad/Landing Page combination

You need to improve the QS, and you do that by improving the CTR for those factors. Improve CTR by limiting broad match terms, make smaller ad groups that focus on one aspect of your business only. Use keywords that describe that aspect. Create ad copy specific to that aspect. And create landing pages that are specific to that aspect also. Use "call to action" in your ad copy and on your landing pages for search campaigns. Create a separate campaign for the Display Network, usually using ads with no call to action for branding purposes.

Then increase your bids, but not more than you feel comfortable with and not more than you can afford, to get a better position on the page. You can segment your data by Ad Position to get an idea of where your ad is showing. Top positions way out-perform side and bottom positions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords