Guide Me
star_border

CTR for Google.com and Partner Network

Ash
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Ash
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently turned off our Patner Networks and left our Adwords showing Google.com only. Not sure why, but our CTR jumped from about 2, on average over the past few months, to 4+ immediately, going as high as 5. Perplexed.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: CTR for Google.com and Partner Network

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Try segmenting your campaign(s) by network with search partners before and after the change to google only. What was the CTR of search partners vs. Google search? It's likely that you were getting a higher CTR on google search than search partners, and when advertising in both networks the poorer CTR masked the better CTR.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Tom is right on this one, as far as I have seen CTR on the Search Network is substantially lower than on Google Search, on most cases, so now that the poor CTR generator is out of the picture the average naturally jumped.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

and if you aren´t sure how to segment, you´ll find instructions about it here

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
To Confirm what @Adwiser is saying... Google's search partners seem to not always have as "high quality traffic", or the page layout is different, so CTR's will be lower.

Keep in mind, having your campaigns running on search partners won't hurt your quality scores, as Google factors the platform in as an element of QS.

Additionally, different verticals have different performance on the search partners. I believe that some verticals have lower quality search partners, and some have better partners. For some clients, we keep them on, for some we pause.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

FYI, for some search partners, it can be the other way around.  For example, for parked domains that are classified as search (rather than content/display), the CTR is much higher than on Google searches.  Why?  Because the ads are the only content.