AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CTR, CPS, QS, MY CAMPAIGN, ADGROUPS, ADS, KEYWORDS..... WHAT?????

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone

First time I started my Google PPC was 4 years ago. I had months and months research, tries and I ended up loosing lots of money and gave up, tried all other advertising methods but I never forget the believed having cheap and well targeted PPC Campaign can bring the best marketing success but no matter what I do and how hard I try I still pay a lot for my PPC.

here is what I have done so far;

Break my geo target areas in to 4 campaign 

Used different domains for each campaign well optimized websites and landing pages for many of the keyword I have in my campaigns.

All landing pages I use for the campaigns optimized well and most of them organically top position or at least first page with google.

Each campaign has around 20 adgroups around 1 to 40 keywords for each ad group and 1000 keyword in total )

keywords or phrases included in each ad ( most case more than once )

Found almost all the negative keywords and included on each campaign

I have around 150 keywords QS 7, 150 QS 6 150 QS 5 and all the rest below. 4-3 No QS  2 or below.

I have a computer repair business and business has so many related keywords like PC repair, acer computer repair,  pc repair, Acer laptop repairs, laptop repair, notebook, mac, dc jack, screen, it, technician ETC. and list can go up to 3 -4000 keywords easily so I choosed best of them and I don't want to delete any of them. I know I can improve the keywords QS if I  create a new relevant web page for each keyword but this could take me long time and I don't have the time for it. Smiley Sad

Here is what I want to know;

1- If I can afford to pay the cost of keywords QS 5 or below shall I keep them because with high CTR will lower the cost and rise the QS? or false because QS 5 and below already too low and can never achieve  good as 7-8-9-10

2- If question 1 is even partially right than with high CTR rates QS 3-4-5 Keywords can rise up to 6-7-8-9-10? and eventualy I pay a lot less?

3- if the questions above some right, how long would it take for me to see QS of the keywords rising and the cost is lowering?

4- if the cost of QS 3-4-5 Keyword ( low impretion but possiable high CTR ) cost less, is it worth to keep them or they will have negative effect on my overall account?

Now I know there is no absulute answer for my questions  but I like to know your thoughts and Please advice me. sharing any experience will be pricated. thanks for advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CTR, CPS, QS, MY CAMPAIGN, ADGROUPS, ADS, KEYWORDS..... WHAT?????

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

1. I think you can start improving your campaign with lesser amount of kw per adgroup, about 5 per ad group

2. Have 2 or 3 adcopies in each adgroup but very relevant to keyword and if possible use kw in the headline

Steps above is something you should try before thinking about bids

3. Its not about what bids you can afford I think you have to think what makes more business sense, if you are running high profit % business then you can definately try higher bids.

4. If your CTR increases yes you will end up eventually paying less per click but you cant guarantee that as it also depends on what your competitors are doing

5. if your QS 3-4 kws are relevant to your business and are giving you good resluts then keep them it will not impact the account in bad way

Hope that helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dominexsus,

Welcome to adwords Community,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.. I want to suggest you that you should start an experiment for all adgroups on following aspects.....

1. Maintain 70% as control and 30% as Experiment

2. Create some ad copies which are having CALL TO ACTION and attractive content.

3. Use phrase match or modified broad to avoid unwanted clicks/invalid clicks.

3. Use Keyword Insertion technique so your ads will seeing more relavent  to the search term.

4. Increase bid by 30% for those keyword which are having QS below or equal to 5.

5. When you increase bid your ad rank will increase and CTR will increasing accordingly.

6. Wait for 2-3 months and when this experiment will getting +ve result than please let us know.

Just a though, Hope this help !!

Regards

-Vicky

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Dominexsus and welcome;

I am more to agree with Nik's suggestions to perform, first, theclassic steps of campaign optimization:

Reduce the number of your ad-group. There are too many, as well as, the number of KWs. Remove all KWs that does not perform well (e.g. KWs that trigger ad impressions with no clicks), or have low QS with low CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

I think 20 adgroups is okay but 40 keywords in single adgroup is too much. As u said u running campaings since past 4 years. Look at the stats and find out all the converting keywords with good CPL (or) keywords having good QS (or) keywords with Good CTR.

Break them in to tightly themed adgroups. Add enticing adcopy relevant to each adgroup. Use negatives at campaign as well as adgroup level.

Ex: Adgroup: Acer Computer Repair
Positive keywords associated with above adgroup:

acer computer repair
"acer computer repair"
[acer comupter repair]
repair computer acer
"repair computer acer"
[repair computer repair]

Negative keywords associated with above adgroup:
laptop
laptops
[acer.com]
[acer]

Adgroup: Acer Laptops Repair

Positive keywords associated with above adgroup:
acer laptop repair
"acer laptop repair"
[acer laptop repair]
repair laptop acer
"repair laptop acer"
[repair laptop repair]

Negative keywords associated with above adgroup:
computer
computers
[acer.com]
[acer]

Try to keep search query strictly relevant to the keywords in adgroups by adding negative keywords. This step will improve the relevancy between keywords and search terms.

- With help of filter pause all the keywords that are consuming cost and did not convert.
- Pause keywords that have so many impressions but zero click
- Add search terms that has so many impression with zero click or minor clicks or may be very very less CTR as negtaive (mostly add such queries in exact match type at adgroup level)

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dominexsus,

I'm glad you shared your post with all of us. I'm sure if you keep on asking, you'll get an amazing answer! Because this online comunity rocks!

You've mentioned couple of things around your keywords and quality score. As it was already mentioned, focus on your CTR. Also check on a regular basis the "search terms" report. Try to eliminate any irrelevant terms and you can take it one step further - if you haven't done so - and experiemnt with different match types.

Recommended reading: There is a great post by Tanmay, Google Employee, on inproving quality score.

Good luck and come back!

Zee
G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

1- If I can afford to pay the cost of keywords QS 5 or below shall I keep them because with high CTR will lower the cost and rise the QS? or false because QS 5 and below already too low and can never achieve  good as 7-8-9-10

If the keyword is relevant and then don't dump it just because of a 5/10 QS.  You can improve the QS through a relevant structure and good CTR.

2- If question 1 is even partially right than with high CTR rates QS 3-4-5 Keywords can rise up to 6-7-8-9-10? and eventualy I pay a lot less?

Yes if the QS is increased then you pay less eventually.  However you may not be paying all that much over your competition for that keyword anyway at the current time so don't sweat it too much.  In other words work on the CTR and QS but it may not have a major impact on the amount you pay in the end.

3- if the questions above some right, how long would it take for me to see QS of the keywords rising and the cost is lowering?

Several thousand impressions at a higher CTR (how high you need to go I don't know) but the idea is to work on the Click through rate to show Google that your ads are relevant to the search query.

4- if the cost of QS 3-4-5 Keyword ( low impretion but possiable high CTR ) cost less, is it worth to keep them or they will have negative effect on my overall account?

That depends.  If the keywords have been in the account for a long time and their QS has been on the decline then it may have a negative effect.  If the keywords are new then maybe not so much as they likely had poor hsitorical CTR for other advertisers and when added to your account they come in low.  Keywords new to your account have no history with you personally so you are scored based on other advertisers performance.  My feeling personally about the lower QS keywords is if they are relevant and you have good structure i.e. the keywords are in adgroups that include relevant ad copy then go for it and work on the CTR - nothing under 2% on the search network.  Give them several thousand impressions and then reevaluate.  

Are you tracking conversions?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the advice.

How long should I wait before I delete low performing keywords? since I only offer services rather than selling, I get around 100 impression between 1000 keywords.

Shall I wait till each keyword reaches 100 impression with no click and delete them after or since they are active for over a week and no impression mean no point to keep them?

keyword has qs 7 but no impression 1-2 weeks no point to keep?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

I have many keywords with no impression but high QS. it's been only few weeks since I activate them but I am not sure to keep them or when to decide deleting them. about 200 keywords above QS 6 or above, with few impr. with few click only. is it worth to keep them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Moshe.

Would you also delete keywords with QS 5-6-7 WITH LESS CTR?