AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CPC went up after changing broad match to broad match modifier

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I wrote about it in a separate topic but it was about something else so I will repeat myself.

I was running a campaign for my pet portraits.

Budget: £4 a day

Av clicks: 13-19 a day

Av CPC: £0.25 - £0.30

Av Position: 2.7

My campaign was set to automatic with maximising number of clicks.

I decided to get my budget up to £7

My stats started looking like this:

Budget: £7 a day

Av clicks: 25-31 a day

Av CPC: £0.21 - £0.28

Av Position: 2.5

Perfect, clicks went up, position went up slightly. I was getting what I wanted....UNTIL I changed my keywords from:

-broad match: pet portraits to +pet +portraits

-broad match: pet portrait artist to +pet +portrait +artist

etc.

And here is what happened:

For £7 a day now I was getting 8 clicks with CPC=£1.00 (!! from 0.21). Sure my position went up to 1.3 but this is not what I wanted at all. I still wanted to maximize my clicks not raise my position.

I reduced my max bid manually in settings but now I am getting cheaper and fewer clicks (my impressions went down even though my ads have good ranking9/10 10/10. Now I have to wonder how low or high I have to adjust max CPC bid manually. I really don't wan't to play cat and mouse with Adwords. I am happy with lower position for lower cpc like I used to have before.  Could you please tell me if the broad match modifier keywords make such a big difference in CPC?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Katarzyna,

It could definitely make a difference. 

Look at the search terms report and see the actual search queries that were triggering your ads. I expect that previously many of them didn't have both pet and portraits in them.

Quite likely you were showing for "pet pictures". This doesn't convert as well, so therefore bids are lower and clicks are cheaper. 

Now you are paying a more realistic click cost, because the search queries are more relevant to your business and more likely to convert. Your competitors bid higher on these keywords because they do convert.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Katarzyna O

Your Quality Score helps determine where your ad shows, and broad match keywords may contribute to a low Quality Score if your keywords appear relevant for too many search terms.

For example, "artist" (and one-word keywords are almost always too general). Artist is a keyword that is  relevant across many search terms- this increase in traffic drives a higher demand. Then advertierts will bid higher, resulting in increased CPC . 

I recommend trying out the keyword planner tool, I've found it really helpful and use it all the time.

Here is a step by step gused to the keyword planner tool: 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6337820?hl=en&ref_topic=3122865

-Julia

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Katarzyno,

Try to add more related keywords in different matchings too. Usually this same word with different matchings has different CPC and conversion rate

Re: CPC went up after changing broad match to broad match modifier

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Julia,

Thanks for replying.

The thing is I tried to keep my keywords relevant to my ads and use negative keywors as well. Most of my clicks come from broad match or exact match "pet portraits" (looking at search terms). My ads have good scores, my page is well designed and contains all the necessary keywords. BTW Keywords Planner brings out same results no matter how I put the keword in "pet portraits", pet portraits or [pet portraits]

I did a small analysis.

cpc.jpg

I looked at search terms (from start of campaign until I changed broad search to broad search modifier - 18th Sept 2016 - 24 March 2017).

CPC for exact match was  £0.31 and broad match £0.27. The position for both was the same ~3,9. Impressions and CTR was higher on the broad match side of course. That time includes time between 13-24 where I increased my budget and my number of clicks went up without affecting my position or CPC, so exactly what I wanted. All was well untill I decided I wanted to get even more precise with my searches I created my keyword with "+" modifier and paused the others

Now from the time I changed  broad search to broad search modifier (25March - now) CPC for exact match went up to  £0,41 while broad match stopped showing. So the CPC went up, position went up, clicks went down! That's what I fail to understand.

Now I also compared those last 2 weeks (where as you see I paid twice as much per day - £7 - and got 0 commissions) with my best month (2 weeks of November 12-25Nov 2016). At that time CPC for exact match and broad match were almost the same at £0,22. My position was lower but clearly I got less "happy 1st place clicks" and more substancial ones that resulted in work at a time when competition is fierce (before Christmas). 

Seems like switching to broad match modifier increased my CPC from £0.22 to £0.47 (213%) resulting in same number of clicks for almost twice the price and 0 results in commissions. Why does Adword pushes a higher position when my campaign in set to maximize clicks? If my position remained the same and CPC went up, I could say: "Ok, I am paying more for more exact searches so maybe it's worth it". But combined with the higher ad position it makes me wonder that I am paying not for better keywords but for a better position which isn't my goal. In fact I don't want to be at the top of the search

Also yesterday I tried limiting my max CPC bid in settings to  £0.35 assuming this would result in droping in position and lowering CPC. My position went down to 2.5  alright and my CPC went down to  £0.35 (still not as low as it used to be at 0.21 for an exact match) BUT I only received 4 clicks (low impressions!) I am so confused!! It's like I am getting punished for trying. 

Should I go back to broad match, get twice as many clicks and hope the searches are not too broad resulting in click that are worth less? Or should I persevere and hope the click are more substancial even if there's less of them? 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Łukasz, I kind of figured it out but it seems that the CPC goes up together with my ad position (which I don't want to happen). I have no idea what I am paying for (CPC went up from 0.22 to 0.47)  - the higher position or change in search type. Once I supressed the max CPC to 0.35 my position went down yesterday and so did my CPC (although only to ~0.33 - still I could accept it if the searches were more precise) BUT I ended up clicking out only 1/7 of my budget because impressions fell. There are too many variables! Seems like if I pull at one thing everything else changes. And also I know it takes time for Adwords to adjust, I just don't feel I have time to wait while I am paying too much - to see and pray that things will get figured out miraculously. 

Re: CPC went up after changing broad match to broad match modifier

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi my search terms clearly say that most of my clicks have always been from pet portraits broad or exact match. I will include the table I created for Julia (on the basis of search terms). It focuses only on those mostly clicked searches for pet portraits (broad and broad modifier) - I use negative keywords etc. I get no pet pictures or sketches or free, or cheap etc.

Grey area is just a random 2 weeks from my best month in terms of commissions received (budget £4 - CPC £0.22 - 27 pet portraits clicks) to compare with the last two weeks where my CPC was £0.47, budget £7 and 27 clicks (pet portraits exact match) and overall results for pet portraits searches for the time from before I tried to make my keywords more precise with a "+". See how my position and CPC went up?

Also as I said to Łukasz, manually setting max CPC to 0.35yesterday lowered my position and CPC but decreased the impressions resulting in 4 clicks. I am confused.

Worth noting - I changed my budget on 13th of March and my CPC stayed the same, position stayed the same, clicks went up. All was nice. Until I used "+". This is where Adwords decided I needed to be moved to 1st position asap and increased my CPC. In other words Adwords is trying to sell me sth I don't need at a higher price just because I used a "+". It also doesn't allow me to lower my bid because then I get punished by my ad not showing,

cpc.jpg

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Katarzyna O

Since the Ad position also depends on the keyword's Quality Score and advertiser competition for that keyword, this is likely why your cost and position went up- combination of all these factors ( higher quality score, relativity, increased CPC and etc.) looking at the screenshot you provided, you're iusing broad match modifier match type not broad match

*Broad match modifier match type may show ads on searches that contain the modified term or close variations, but not synonyms, in any order:
Symbol: +keyword
Example keyword: +women's +hats
Example search: hats for women

Modifiers add more specificity to broad match keywords, and therefore narrow their reach. So, while using a broad match modifier can increase the relevance of your keywords, it in turn can decrease your expected traffic.

Have you tried using The Bid Simulator? The bid stumulator runs "what-if" scenarios such as: "How many more impressions would I have received if I had raised my bid by US$0.10?" so you can adjust your bids to the right level for your budget. This way you can estimate the click, cost, and impression data that your ads would have received in a typical week had you set higher or lower keyword bids.

Lastly, what bidding strategy are you using? (automated, manual)?

For more control over your bids, you can set a CPC limit to not exceed a particular price per clicks. You can control your bid strategy at three levels: campaigns, ad groups, and each individual keyword.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Julia

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Like @RobSkelton said - It all comes down to the actual search queries. If you don't have any kind of conversion tracking, then you don't know what's actually resulting in sales.

It could be that terms which only get a few clicks at a higher CPC and in a higher position are the only ones that result in sales. You are assuming that more cheaper clicks are generating a better return. That is almost certainly not the case. For every account/business there are always a small handful of search terms that generate the majority of your sales. Find out what those terms actually are, focus on those terms first and foremost, and focus more on cost per conversion than cost per click.

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Julia, 

I use automated bidding strategy. I only recently realised I could set a max bid at a campaign level. I can't see the maximum bidding control anywhere else and I can't do the simulator with automated bidding strategy. You think it's worth going manual?

I know a bit more than I knew at the beginning, I use less keywords knowing which work best.

I have another question:

Yesterday I went over to Display Planner - performance forecasts for your targetting. Put all of my enabled keywords as phrases (like I will try to use them now). Set up my daily budget at £7 and the planner is telling me I should get around 860 clicks with a max cpc bid set to £0.33. I know that those planners are not super accurate but a) did I understand correctly what it's telling me and b) can I trust it to be accurate enough?

I tried to check with my previous keywords (without "") and set up my daily budget from before (£4).  It estimated that with this budget and keywords I should score ~600 (while I was getting ~500)  so I assumed that I do understand what this tool does, but I am not entirely sure Smiley Wink