AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CPC triples on the first day of the month

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Why might my CPC triple starting on the first day of this month? Does it have something to do with how my competitors could be budgeting?

I'm used to fluctuations, but this one was pretty dramatic and it's continuing.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fnippy
September 2015

Re: CPC triples on the first day of the month

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @fnippy could it be related to the business itself?  Is it something that could be affected by dates like this?

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a competitor who - for reasons best known to them - only advertises at the start of the month.

One other consideration is that it could be a coincidence.  If you look at a period of 4 or 5 months, are there only peaks on the 1st of the month or are there other random peaks just as high (or higher).  It's easy to see significance where there is none; there's a 1/31 chance of any random event happening on the 1st Smiley Wink

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

Are you noticing this only on the first day of each month? What's the bidding method you're using? Could you check if there are any automated rules set? Screenshot here.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply. I am not using automated bidding or rules. I have bids set by Adgroup (just 2-3 keywords each).

I went back and saw a slight increase in CPC at the beginning of the last two months. Mostly I'm just curious.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fnippy
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @fnippy could it be related to the business itself?  Is it something that could be affected by dates like this?

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a competitor who - for reasons best known to them - only advertises at the start of the month.

One other consideration is that it could be a coincidence.  If you look at a period of 4 or 5 months, are there only peaks on the 1st of the month or are there other random peaks just as high (or higher).  It's easy to see significance where there is none; there's a 1/31 chance of any random event happening on the 1st Smiley Wink

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I think you may be right that it's within the normal range of variation.

Also, it dawned on me that my CPC always goes down as the day progresses, and when it was really high, my daily budget was exhausted before the lower priced clicks could lower the average.