5.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CPC or CPM for Display

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey, I'm gonna lunch a display campaign, The objective of the campaign is to reach a certain number of Imp. , So I just need to know which bidding model would more effective for this objective the CPC or CPM Model? 

Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPC or CPM for Display

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Mahmoud-Magdy, 

As you told the objective of the campaign is to reach a certain number of Impression. So CPM Model is effective for this campaign. 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The minimum bid for CPM is 0,25 $ per 1000 impressions, 

If you think that you will have a CTR of less than 1% , which is 10 clicks for 1000 impressions and those 10 clicks will cost less than 0.25 $, chose for CPC.

In the display network, expecially when you do not use frequency capping to limit impressions / computer / day, you can get a very low CTR of even 0.1 % which means 1 click per 1000 impressions. If you think that you will get traffic with a CPC of less than 0.25 $ and a CTR of less than 0.1 % , CPC is also a good choice.

High traffic placements like youtube have this effect of 1000-1500 impressions before a click.

You can only decide after a small test with both methods and a daily budget of 5-10 $ for each campaign.

In the CPC campaigns using the expanding banners you also have what they call "free clicks" , users sitting with the mouse coursor over 1 second on the banner and expanding it.

Campaign-Dimensions-View-Free-Clicks.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mahmoud-Magdy, can I dig a little deeper behind the question?

Why do you want to run a Campaign with an objective of a fixed number of impressions?  This alone would seem to have very little value in advertising terms.  Although "reach" is an important metric, it's not usually as useful to consider only this above also being able to measure performance and return.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I looked at some sites with poor performance from a list of 700 placements in an account and I noticed that sites that bring impressions and no clicks have a C letter design , which means a top horizontal space for advertising, a long vertical banner and a "very very low on page" horizontal banner. I bet those low on page ads load along with the page and count as an impression every time, even if you have to scroll several screens down to actually notice them.

The top placements are for clicks and the bottom page placements are for CPM, in my opinion. So if I were to vote for CPM or CPC, I would definitely chose CPC even for impressions.

Also in the overal statistics, the average CPM column shows a very close value to the average CPC, in a CPC campaign.