AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

CPA went over the roof - What shall I check?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the last couple of days my CPA almost double - I'm getting pretty much the same conversions but I'm paying much more. How is that possible? 

Re: CPA went over the roof - What shall I check?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
May be your cpc would have increased due to higher competition. Check your avg cpc graph over the time and look for cost on non converting keywords.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, average CPC is something you can check firstly.

Also below factors may contribute to the impact on CPA-

1. There might be fluctuations due to competitors bids as well
  2. Check the high CPC keywords CTR and conversions.
  3. Have you added high competition keywords recently with higher bids
  4. If the conversion rate is almost same then it should be more to do with bidding. Website will have little impact on CPA.
  5. Are you using  Conversion Optimiser  with recommended bid which may be little higher than what you might be expecting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi SJAdWiser, yes I'm using the Conversion optimiser. The CPA is still high, especially when compared to last week. I am considering reducing the Target CPA - would that be any good?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes you may try reducing the max CPA.

The option available in campaigns settings-

Bidding option >> Focus on conversions (Conversion Optimiser) - use CPA bids >> Max CPA >> Start with customised bid

Your recommended bid may be higher now looking at your current historical CPA. So you may set the customised bid.

Again, it will reduce the no. of conversions. Once you see the trend of conversions, you can again increase the CPA if  required.

Also do you have keywords with low CPC but are converting. Conversion optimiser look for such keywords to balance the CPA set.

If your CPA bid low, you can find good conversions for low CPC keywords and less with high CPC sometimes.

Hope this helps.