AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bulk Exclusion - Advanced Location

TMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
TMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Other than my targeted campaign area, I want to exclude a large portion of

the planet and limit any search for my geomodifed keywords.

We see a lot of traffic from the Americas and would like to modify our exposure

from several continents. Smiley Happy

This is for a campaign located in a major tourist city.

Maybe I'm just missing it but I can't see spending a good hour or two compiling

a country list.

TIA

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bulk Exclusion - Advanced Location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Territories outside your targeted area are excluded by default.
To avoid ads shown to users  outside your location, searching about your location, change  the advanced location targeting to "people in my area only".

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Could it be that the user is seeing this international traffic comming in because of this change : 

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/10/improvements-to-location-targeting-for.html

"  For example, let’s say you own a hotel, and you are currently targeting Paris with the keyword “Paris hotels.” Previously, only people searching on Google.fr or Google.com from France could see your ad. Starting the week of November 11, your ads will be eligible to show to people searching for “Paris hotels” from anywhere in the world -- for example, someone who lives in New York City who is booking a vacation in Paris.  "

To me it looks like the default setting for location targeting , can bring traffic from just about anywhere in the world if the bid is high enough and the search term contains the targeted City name.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Adrian;
Correct - this is the default  setting. If you want to exclude people outside your location searching about your location - you need to change the default to "people (physically)my targeted location"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

TMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
TMC
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is exactly my scenario. People from my targeted city can see my ads, & people worldwide who are searching for my targeted city are seeing my ad.

But most of my actual customers originate in North America (the US, VI, PR), Central America, and the UK. I had had no customers from South America, Africa or Asia. I'm trying to exclude extraneous traffic from non-producing clicks from large portions of the world.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same question. Did you ever get an answer?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.