AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Build Remarketing lists with Analytics for Adwords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Build Remarketing lists with Analytics for Adwords

About page
http://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en&ref_topic=2611283

Text under:
Visitors who abandoned items in their shopping carts.

Goal : you want to remarket to visitors who added items to their shopping carts but didn’t complete a transaction.

Build this segment to identify visitors who added items to their shopping carts, but didn’t complete the purchase.

There they Create a dimension + metric filter.

I the pictures you see :

Include Event Action Exactly matching AddToCart
OR
Include transactions (Visitor Based) Equals 0

They use here the OR operator.
I think this must be the AND operator.

Create a second list to identify visitors who added items to their shopping carts, and then did complete a transaction.

OR

I think this must be the AND operator.

Am I right? 

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Build Remarketing lists with Analytics for Adwords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Elja,

I've checked the pictures and I think you're right, both should be ' AND'.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Is it possible that a googler looks at this problem.

I think it is not a analytics problem. Because technically nothing is wrong in Analytics.

It is a logical problem
You get the problem in Adwords, because when you follow the help text you are targeting the wrong visitors.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you SanneB for looking at this

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Well spotted - there is such a lot of confusion about the and/or combinations.....

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to make things clear, you are reffering to this picture

https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/SNP_DB147E62E9A3B1BE4586189E63D8CC61402E_3160649_en_...

from "Sample visitor segment for Retail Vertical / Visitors who abandoned items in their shopping carts "

There should also be a verification for ending the visit, because in normal situations the cookie keeps your cart open even if you close the browser, just in case you return later even from another IP to complete the transaction.

The filter seems incomplete to me, besides being completely wrong with the OR instead of AND

And what about from the same computer I abandon a transaction by emptying the shopping cart with an expensive Item from a category and then I add some more cheap items and I complete another transaction. I am also an abandoner for an expensive Item and a conversion for some cheap Items but according to the custom list  I get deleted from the list, because my browser did complete a random transaction, no matter how many others I have abandoned. I am saying there should also be a filter for the value of the abandoned transaction.

About "

Create a second list to identify visitors who added items to their shopping carts, and then did complete a transaction.

OR

I think this must be the AND operator."

I think they updated the second list because now has the condition transactions greater than 0 , if you are talking about the second list from the same example.

https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/SNP_DB147E62E9A3B1BE4586189E63D8CC61402E_3160651_en_...

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Automatic K

Yes you are right.
I am talking about the pictures under :
Sample Visitor Segments for the Retail vertical
=>Visitors who abandoned items in their shopping carts
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en&ref_topic=2611283

The second list is NOT uptdated.
They have two list here, to make a custom combination in Adwords.
But both lists have the OR operator where I think they most have the AND operator.

I think you are talking about two things:
1. The ending of the visit is not important, I think. You are just adding people that have put somthing in their cart.
When someone did buy something you work with custom combinations. Or when you have an other condition you want to exclude. You make a custom combination to exclude.

2. And you are talking about are other conditions. You can make other lists, with other conditions, and other actions you do in time. You just have to choose what you want.

analytics-help1.png

analytics-help2.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes the OR is definitely stupid , but you wrote

"

OR
Include transactions (Visitor Based) Equals 0"

and the second picture has the "greater than" condition not Equals.

Let's analyze the resulting list :

List 1 : everyone who added something to the cart or everyone who did not end a transaction, resulting in the selection of all visitors who added to the cart  because transaction visitors are included in the first "crowd"

List 2 : everyone who added something to the cart or everyone who did purchase, this selects also all people who added something to the cart even if they completed a transaction or not.

The intersection between two identical "crowds" is the same "crowd" , all people who added to the cart. So marketers who use these instructions will at least remarket to all "who added something to the shooping cart" , without excluding those who completed a transaction.

To minimise this mistake with velvet gloves ( a job done well by the people labeled with green) I would say that at least they do not advise you to remarket to all visitors .

Facebook offers rewards for people who signal mistakes in their software , does AdWords do this too ?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Although I'm getting slightly lost here... if we have the second condition :

or Include transactions (Visitor Based) Equals 0

then we would effectively include everyone who didn't complete a transaction - which includes everyone regardless of whether they added anything to their cart or not - including all bounces... definitely needs to be AND!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Steve,

The discussion is a little confusing I think.

I think my first post is the most clear. Just look at the goal the try to reach with the lists :

Goal : you want to remarket to visitors who added items to their shopping carts but didn’t complete a transaction.

Edit extra : (sorry I write to fast)

Simpy said :
The first picture you target

1. Every visitor that puts a item in the shopping cart, it does not matter if they transact or not
AND
2. Every visitor that did NOT transact.

In the second picture you get:

1. You get visitors that put item in their shopping cart, it  does not matter if they convert or not.

AND

2. you get visitors that DID  transact.

Maybe I must not try to explain this. the first post is the most clear.