2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Budget Impact on Multiple Adgroups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. I would like to know how the budget is divided between adgroups and keywords. Is it equally divided?

2. What happens when a keyword has a lot more impressions than others?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Budget Impact on Multiple Adgroups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. I would like to know how the budget is divided between adgroups and keywords. Is it equally divided?
2. What happens when a keyword has a lot more impressions than others?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Budget Impact on Multiple Adgroups

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Marcello,

1. Basically it's first come first served.
2. I am assuming you are talking about a Search campaign and CPC bidding. To answer your question, nothing will happen in terms of costs until users start clicking on your ads. When they do, the rules of CPC bidding will be applicable to charge you based on the number clicks accrued.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Lakatos,
Thanks for attempting to answer my question, but
Im talking about how the algorithm is going to devide the budget between adgroups as I continue to add more keywords and other adgroups.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marcelo O
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Marcello,

I read you okay. What I told you in art No 1 is that there is no algorithm that would divide the budget between ad groups as you continue to add more keywords and other ad groups. As users perform searches on Google, their search queries keyed in may trigger a keyword of yours to display one of your ad copies on the SERP. As users click on your ad (provided they do), you will be charged a particular amount of money irrespective of which ad group houses the ad copy and the keyword. Therefore what you are asking is dependent on users and not on internal algorithms. In a nutshell: daily budget is a campaign level feature, and there is no manifest or hidden sub-division at ad group level.

In contrast, Google is running proper algos e.g. to divide your daily budget across the hours of the day, where appropriate.

Your query is highly appreciated.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Lakatos,

Thank you for the clarification. I see what you meant now. So in order to equally divide or distribute the budget or even have more control the best option would be to have only one adgroup per campaign? That way every adgroup gets the appropriate budget?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Positive, Marcelo. If that's your objective, that's the best (and only) option for you to choose.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Lakatos,

Yes, I'm trying to understand how to have better control over certain parts of the system. So I may experiment with that as well to see the outcome. I'm trying to build some scaleable campaigns and most of times it's very hard to control the budget with certain adgroups. Do you have any experience with that you can share?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Marcelo,

>>> ... it's very hard to control the budget with certain adgroups .... <<<

Actually you cannot control daily budget at the ad group level effectively. Therefore I think he best option is to have only one ad group per campaign as you put it above, which is how we usually build the account structure when ad group level budget control is important.

I'd note that it was a real challenge years ago when only 50 campaigns were allowed per account. Now that the cap has been upped to 10k, it's no more a problem for the average account.

Please find below 2 help pages on your AdWords account structure and limitations.

*** About your account organization ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en

*** About your AdWords account limits ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6372658

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Lakatos,

That's great to know there's no limit anymore! Thank you for sharing that. You've been of great help! I will take a look at both pages that you recommended.

Would you recommend to use scripts to control the daily budget at the ad group level? Would that maybe open the possibility to a better control and budge optimization in your opinion? Or do you think I would be wasting my time trying that?

Thanks in advance again for your time sharing your knowledge!