AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match solves half of the negative keyword blocking by itself ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed this confusing information in the certification curriculum :

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=2497828

How broad match can help you

Spend your money on keywords that work: If your ad receives no clicks on a particular keyword variation, our system will quickly stop showing your ads for that and similar search terms. This prevents you from accruing click charges for keyword variations that aren't working and helps you focus on the keywords that work.

I wanted to ask if this does mean that we should make less use of negative keywords on broad match keywords ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad match solves half of the negative keyword blocking by itself

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

They have not mention anything about negative keywords there. They are just telling how broad match keywords works.

As you know broad match keyword trigger lot of queries as the reach is very broad. They only meant that if any search term typed by used triggered your adcopy many times but did not receive any click. They won't show your ad for such terms and similar terms.

For example you have:

low-carb diet plan keyword in broad as positive keyword and you ad got triggered for search term carb-free foods many times but did not receive any click. Then adwords won't show your ad for the search term carb-free foods.

hope that helps a bit.

Thanks
Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I am with Neha.

Little more insight-

I think these are two different things.

1. Google triggering ads for relevant search terms:

If you have <low-carb diet plan> keywords as broad match then Google will trigger the ads for relevant keywords like

carb-free foods
low-carb diets 
low calorie recipes
Mediterranean diet plans
low-carbohydrate dietary programme

Now if Google finds it, relevant keywords are not accruing any clicks to the ads, it will not try the relevant search terms to trigger the ad.

Now if you have negative keyword as <free> then Google will not try to trigger the ad for keyword <carb-free foods>.

2.  Adding negative keywords when using the broad match:

Negative keywords prevent showing ad for certain keywords, it has nothing to do with the broad match type, as it will be excluded from any searched keyword match type. It’s just a filter for the keywords. And Google will not trigger ads for relevant keywords including negative keywords. 

I would say, do use the negative terms with broad match as well if few keywords are to be excluded from the list first place.

My thoughts!

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I mean , if already the algorithm excludes certain keyword combinations because they don't have clicks after certain number of impressions, why don't they just pass on that information to the user.

Maybe I am working my **bleep** off to add dozens of negative keywords from my head ( not the search terms ) while the algorithm does the same thing by building a list of keyword combinations that blocks the display of broad match.

[Later edit] That's why I said half of the negative keywords, because

1 half comes from my imagination and research before I start the campaign
 and

1 half comes from search terms

[later edit]

From the example of Neha : if the algorithm finds the expression "carb-free foods" irelevant to your ads, why don't it tells you that : look Adrian , your ads are not relevant for "carb-free foods" , would you like to adapt your text to sell that particular item in the future ? or : would you like to add this to the negative list so that you don't receive clicks ?

It doesn't say if the algorithm builds a list of "non-triggering" elements on a daily basis or on the historical basis of the ad group. Maybe tomorow i want to sell "carb-free foods" and I am left in the blind as to WHY my broad match expression is not triggered on this combination.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My example : 

Let's say that I am bidding on the top 10 wanted keyword : lawyer, in all US.

That has to have at least 1.000.000 broad match combinations.

1 day goes by and I've spent 10.000 $$ on 1000 clicks only on this keyword.

Does that mean that tomorow , all the other 999.000 combinations that could be on the lawyer broad match keyword are denied from the bidding for me just because today I got only 1000 clicks ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think you're spending too much time considering a hypothetical situation to which we can't provide a clear answer.

The process of removing "unclicked" queries is not going to happen overnight - your one night example (and I know it's just an example) would never happen.  I have Keywords in Accounts that only get clicks once a month but which are still useful because they have a very high conversion rate so I'd be hoping that Google isn't preventing clicks on the basis of too short a test.

More importantly, all this is based around Simple Broad matches and if I had my way this match type would be removed from AdWords as an option now that Modified Broad exists.  Any Simple Broad that has more than one component word suggests that the user wants all words to form the trigger or at least that they don't want a single word in that Keyword to trigger.  I'm quite happy with this belief given the response we typically get here and in private consultations where the nature of Simple Broad matching is described.  If you do want to trigger on any of the terms, then you can do so with individual single word Keywords - and there you'd have more control - but you'd only ever want to do this if those single words were very rare (like a brand term, obscure product name or code, etc.).  Unless such words are Keywords for my clients I never, ever use Simple Broad matching.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits