Thanks for clarifying!

f.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad match modifier

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi flioriana,

Good question! In practice, Google search pretty much ignores spaces and certain punctuation. I do not know for certain, but I have not seen an example of BMM with no spaces.

A search query of "+buy+red+shoes" returns results for "buy red shoes", as I expected it would. What I don't know is how the + signs would affect close variations of the words involved.

Do you have a lot of them in your account? Or did you have an objective in mind when asking this question? For my tastes, it's not that many extra characters. If you don't have them in your account, I would not add them this way. If you do have keywords like this in your account, run a search terms report on one of the and see what you are getting impressions and clicks for. You might find your answer there.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, good question. It never even occurred to me. I find no such "mistake" in thousands of BMMs that I have. I have made the mistake of using "+kw1 +kw2" as a phrase match and those do gather impressions. My guess is that any non alpha-numeric characters inside a phrase (and likely an exact) match are ignored or removed which would account for what I saw.

If the system separates individual words when encountering a non alpha-numeric character (and chances are that it does), it will work. But always go on the safe and "normal" way to do things. Most people add spaces to separate words and I suggest you do too. As Pete said, check your SQ report and see what it turns up and let us know.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Floriana,

I have little different opinion on answers from petebardo, Lucid_Marketing.

If +buy+red+shoes is added in your keywords list in campaign, then it's wrong way to do it if you want to use it as BMM.

As you can see it on page below-
http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/ads/innovations/bmm.html
Look for
"Right way to do it: +formal +shoes. Wrong way to do it: +formal+shoes. Another incorrect usage: + formal + shoes".

Yes, if user is typing +buy+red+shoes in google search box then it will work as petebardon has mentioned above.

Further useful read could be - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Recent post with other BMM examples-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Keyword-Match-Type/td-p/150452/page/2

Hope this helps!

SJ

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi SJ.

As I said, I really don't know if it will work or not. It's fairly apparent that is not how it was designed or documented. It depends on how it was programmed. There could be an undocumented "feature" or a bug that will allow it to work. If the keyword phrase is split using white space characters, it won't work. On the other hand, if the phrase is split using non-alphanumeric characters, it will work. We don't know that level of detail on how this all works.

That was the point of my questions. If there are BMM keywords in the account, I would be very curious to know if the search terms associated with the keyword are what was expected. If there are none, there is no reason to create them that way.

I know why it works as a search query--the + signs are converted to spaces when they appear in a URL and the search query is transmitted in the query string of the URL.

Thanks for you input!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords