Guide Me
star_border

Broad match dilemma

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a dilemma!

If I have a broad keywords combination such as: +nike +shoes will the ad activate for the single keyword nike?

The dilemma came up looking at details > search terms for a broad match with two keywords I saw also single keyword that activates the ad. 

tks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad match dilemma

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Fabrizio C,
No, both words has to be present in search term to activate the ad. This is how modified broad match works: every word in keyword with + in front of it has to be in search term in order to show your ads or close variants of those words.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

broad match itself works slightly differently: Some or every word doesn't have to show at all in the exact way you have it in your keyword list.

It is because: Broad match lets a keyword trigger your ad to show whenever someone searches for that phrase, similar phrases, singular or plural forms, misspellings, synonyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2407779?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

BMM always works with the combination of keywords. As per my knowledge your ad should not appear for only "Nike" keyword. BMM works with all the words included along with "+" sign irrelevant of their word sequence.
Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fabrizio C
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

As per your example in question, you indicated that you are asking about broad modifier keyword. When you use two words with plus sign, both words should be in search query. Your ad will never be triggered in a single word.

If you are using broad keyword match type, there is highly probability to trigger your ad in a single word.

This my one tested reply because I have been using Google Adwords since 2007.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Fabrizio C,
No, both words has to be present in search term to activate the ad. This is how modified broad match works: every word in keyword with + in front of it has to be in search term in order to show your ads or close variants of those words.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

broad match itself works slightly differently: Some or every word doesn't have to show at all in the exact way you have it in your keyword list.

It is because: Broad match lets a keyword trigger your ad to show whenever someone searches for that phrase, similar phrases, singular or plural forms, misspellings, synonyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), related searches, and other relevant variations.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2407779?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

BMM always works with the combination of keywords. As per my knowledge your ad should not appear for only "Nike" keyword. BMM works with all the words included along with "+" sign irrelevant of their word sequence.
Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tks Alex is it the same without the modifier? So: nike shoes
F
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fabrizio C
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

As per your example in question, you indicated that you are asking about broad modifier keyword. When you use two words with plus sign, both words should be in search query. Your ad will never be triggered in a single word.

If you are using broad keyword match type, there is highly probability to trigger your ad in a single word.

This my one tested reply because I have been using Google Adwords since 2007.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes. Without the "+" using Broad Modifier your ad could theoretically show for either "nike" or "shoes"