3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Vs Phrase Vs Exact

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In one of the Google Seminars I was told by the Product Guy that we should include all the keywords in all the match types and then check which one performs better but when we do this automatically the keyword with the most restrictive type wins . So how do we test 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad Vs Phrase Vs Exact

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi sandeepyn1,

I have to say I will use all the match types and bid accordingly based on the stats.

If your bids are the same generally the most restrictive match type will be shown but you need to remember what the match types actually do.

Exact will only pick up on the exact match where broad and phrase can pick up on a lot more variations and queries.

I generally find I'll bid higher on the more precise match types as over time I know what keywords are converting and have them as exact match. I still run broad and phrase as I am not going to even try and guess all the potential variations that someone can type into Google are, but they still convert for me.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
To Add to Adam's answer you are correct that the most restrictive match type wins; Unless you give a different bid for each match type.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree the most restrictive type seems to always win but when starting off it is good to try all types, see which ones are performing the best. Then you should look at your bid strategy for each and try to find the best level. after all of this and the build up of some data you will know which ones are performing the best and at what level to keep them. You may decide not to keep all of them if they aren't performing.

This is my experience. I hope it helps