AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Negative Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question to 90% but I just want to make sure I am not gonna mess up my campaigns.

Its about broad negative keywords in a broad campaign and the way they work.

Example:

Keyword

+men's +suits 

+blue +suits

Broad Negative Keywords

h&m suits

fire suits

protective suits

suits dvd box

If I add these keywords to my negative keyword list, will any keyword that has "suits" in it still show or will it be blocked?

In theory they should still show or am I wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Nico

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nico Rentschler
May 2017

Re: Broad Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nico Rentschler,

You're correct in thinking that they should still show; I'd personally use a different strategy to be sure of it though.

If you're using broad negative keywords then you don't need to include the "suits" part of the keyword, simply include the following:

h&m

fire

protective

dvd

box

That way you'll be able to exclude all search terms associated to these words. There will obviously be individual cases where you can't be too broad, but in the examples above I'd imagine you'd want to exclude all traffic.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nico Rentschler
May 2017

Re: Broad Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nico Rentschler,

You're correct in thinking that they should still show; I'd personally use a different strategy to be sure of it though.

If you're using broad negative keywords then you don't need to include the "suits" part of the keyword, simply include the following:

h&m

fire

protective

dvd

box

That way you'll be able to exclude all search terms associated to these words. There will obviously be individual cases where you can't be too broad, but in the examples above I'd imagine you'd want to exclude all traffic.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Broad Negative Keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Nico Rentschler

You are right, they will still show.

These negative keywords will not block all search terms that has 'suits'. It will block only the search terms where the negative terms are found exactly the same and in the same order.

In other words, the ad won't show as long as all the negative keyword terms are included in the search query in the same order.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.