2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Negative Keyword Contained Within Wanted Keyword

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I made a broad negative keyword "Decor", will that automatically make "Decorative" negative?  I don't want that.

Reason I ask is because when I go to filter out keywords on reports, if I use "Keyword contains" and input "Decor", everything with "Decorative" gets listed.  I never thought this might happen with negative match types, but now am thinking it might.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Negative Keyword Contained Within Wanted Keyword

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Negative keywords are very precise. How they work is not comparable with how filtering a report works.

A negative keyword of "decor" will allow searches for "decorate".

To stop searches for "decorate", make a negative keyword "decorate"

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Tommy,

In theory, what you have described here should not happen BUT it does happen.

I have seen Negative Broad Keywords fail to restrict irrelevant queries n number of times by now. What I would suggest is that you use Phrase as a negative matchtype for your keywords and again this is not a full proof method but it should help you cut down on irrelevant queries by a good number. Other than that, like Rob mentioned, negate the exact keyword (in phrase though) that you do not want your ads for.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

A small addition to useful inputs above, negative keywords behavior is pretty interesting and AdWords system might not be able to exclude all the variations if someone searches. There is a possibility that your ad might turn up for variations. See this screenshot for more clarity:-

Screenshot_1.png

My only piece of advise would be look at your search terms regularly. Try to add exact and phrase match type negative keywords from time to time. Also ensure that it doesn't coincide with your positive keywords otherwise your ad won't show up.

Pankaj