AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Modified Match Pickle

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone I have the following situation on a client's account:

In one of their Search campaigns they have two almost identical broad modified keywords in one ad set. Keyword 1 is: +word1 +word2 and keyword 2 is: +word2 +word1(in plural).  (E.g.: +lawyer +marketing and +marketing +lawyers) 

Looking at the lifetime performance of the two keywords (they were both started at the same time) we have the following numbers:

Keyword1: CTR 5.46%, Av. CPC - $2.51, Av. Pos. - 1.6, Conversions - 13, Cost per conversion - $10.63, Quality score 7/10

Keyword2: CTR - 3%, Av. CPC - $1.54, Av. Pos - 1.8, Conversions - 7-, Cost per conversion - $3.95, Quality score - 3/10

Target cost per conversion is $5.

Obviously this is not a huge quantity of data, but I would still like to take action, because $10.63 is just too high of a cost per conversion.

What would you do in this situation? 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Since plural is a close variant the system picks the most restrictive match type to match the search query.  Actually, this is a redundancy and you should let the system do the  optimization to avoid that.

Merge all words into one keyword  in a singular form.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Moshe!

So you are saying, stop the plural one even though it's the one with much cheaper cost per conversion and leave the one in singular? In other words stop +marketing +lawyers (as per my example) and leave +lawyer +marketing. And hopefully google will bring down cost per conversion down of the remaining one?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Opt the one with lower CPC, either singular or plural.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Correct.  This  (IMHO) should have been the initial setting. But do follow  daily on performances.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Actually a good suggestion by Archit

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Addition to what is already suggested, please go through keyword1 search query report and see what search terms are converting. Since both the keywords are in BMM - possible that some of the search terms would be same for both keywords. Check for high cpa search term and low cpa search term. I believe looking into this data can help you. Also check for search terms receiving clicks only and not conversions might be the reason of high cpa. Please take a look at report, find out these and let us know what you discover.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

The actual search terms are the key. If users are actually searching for 'marketing lawyer', 'marketing lawyers', etc., then use those search terms as targeted KW's, and see how that/those term(s) compare to the BMM terms you are currently targeting.

Tom