1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match floods CPC, help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to run some tests for a client and using SEMRush I've found plenty of terms that range from $.01 to $.05 per click.  (After combing through 1000s of terms there are relevant to LP).  My problem is that in the general market I've noticed many of their competitors have no clue what they are doing and bid broad match for a term that shows up in all my farily cheap exact match.

The word is actually "Sharepoint"  So these guys broad match it, show up in results, totally not relevant and just throw money at it between $3-$17/click by my estimates.  And I'm using terms like "sharepoint access denied" which gets 140hits and a $.01 CPC per SEMRush but because these guys are bidding $5 for "sharepoint" I have to compete.

Any suggestions or could you point me to how Google solves for this problem?  The problem being that Google tries to fix this via QS but if companies are just willing to remain ignorant and throw money at it, Google didn't fix anything they only end up making more money.

Re: Broad Match floods CPC, help

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey coloandoctor3,

Welcome on board!

Unfortunately, this reality has been true for years. Google's business model has been to push business owners by default to match to as many keywords as possible, driving the auction price higher - especially for smart advertisers like you Smiley Wink

The reality is, you will have to pay something in the range of what they are in order to rank.

You can get your CTR's much higher than them, and your Quality score down, but (from what I understand), the QS discount doesn't allow you to get 95% off of what your competitors are paying.

For the future, I would recommend not relying on SEMRush, Spyfu, or even the Google estimator tool.

However, if you are going for those errors, you may want to try the display network, and target similar keywords on sites like ehow.com and about.com, as well as some of the professional help forums.

Those tend to be highly effective sources for technical issues, and Google's display keyword algorithm is quite effective.

Good luck.

Re: Broad Match floods CPC, help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David, I like the strategy about GDN and ehow, etc.  Sounds like a great tactic.