AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I wanted to know if I can use the Broad Match Modifier for negative keywords. Can someone help me out?

Thanks! 

Amber

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Re: Broad Match Modifier

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Amber,

Just to add on to what Rob has suggested, and I like his example. There are many strategies you can take when implementing negative keywords. I like look at negatives and place them into 3 buckets.

1. Never a good fit for this account ever - these end up on an account wide negatives shared library list, mostly single term negatives that are applied to all campaigns.
2. Not a fit for this particular campaign but may be okay in another - these are added at the campaign level directly or via a shared library list.
3. Not a fit for this particular ad group but may be okay in another - these are added at the ad group level

The one suggestion I have when looking at negatives is to always start as broad as you can - kill as many possible search queries with the fewest additions of negative keywords. If you find 40 search queries that matched one of your keywords and they are not relevant, look for the common denominators and eliminate those first - don't add all 40 negatives when you don't have to.

Let's consider one way to approach Robs example, assuming we had separate ad groups/campaigns for new and used scooters, you could apply 'pink' as a negative to the used ad groups/campaigns.

Another thing to remember and perhaps why there is no negative BMM is that negative keywords do not match search queries the same way that targeted keyword do. They do not expand to close variants/plurals etc...so you must add in each of these variations as negatives. For instance, if you don't want to show for people simply looking for photos of used scooters, you would likely need to ad, photo, photos, photograph, picture, pictures, pics etc...I think that get's the point across. The idea here is that you also don't have to add every single possible search query if you can identify the key terms that you're trying to avoid and make sure you have your bases covered well.

Think through your negatives and how you can be smart/efficient but still accomplish the goal of keeping your ads from showing for irrelevant search queries.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Amber,

Here's the official Google info:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

There is no option for BMM negatives.

In my experience there is little need for them. You would need a situation like this:

We sell new and used scooters, in all colors.
Except we do not sell used scooters in pink.
Negative +pink +used +scooter

That way when someone searches for "pink scooter like new but used" your ad wouldn't show.

I think that situation is rare enough for BMM negatives to not exist.

Is your situation like my example above?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for responding! It's a little similar, my account is about movers/moving companies. I want to create a robust neg. keyword list for full service moves that doesn't involve renting, budget etc. Pods for example is an excellent keyword but when the word "rental" is added it doesn't convert as well. I would have liked to have done +pods +rental, +renting +pods etc.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee2 (Google Employee)
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Amber,

Just to add on to what Rob has suggested, and I like his example. There are many strategies you can take when implementing negative keywords. I like look at negatives and place them into 3 buckets.

1. Never a good fit for this account ever - these end up on an account wide negatives shared library list, mostly single term negatives that are applied to all campaigns.
2. Not a fit for this particular campaign but may be okay in another - these are added at the campaign level directly or via a shared library list.
3. Not a fit for this particular ad group but may be okay in another - these are added at the ad group level

The one suggestion I have when looking at negatives is to always start as broad as you can - kill as many possible search queries with the fewest additions of negative keywords. If you find 40 search queries that matched one of your keywords and they are not relevant, look for the common denominators and eliminate those first - don't add all 40 negatives when you don't have to.

Let's consider one way to approach Robs example, assuming we had separate ad groups/campaigns for new and used scooters, you could apply 'pink' as a negative to the used ad groups/campaigns.

Another thing to remember and perhaps why there is no negative BMM is that negative keywords do not match search queries the same way that targeted keyword do. They do not expand to close variants/plurals etc...so you must add in each of these variations as negatives. For instance, if you don't want to show for people simply looking for photos of used scooters, you would likely need to ad, photo, photos, photograph, picture, pictures, pics etc...I think that get's the point across. The idea here is that you also don't have to add every single possible search query if you can identify the key terms that you're trying to avoid and make sure you have your bases covered well.

Think through your negatives and how you can be smart/efficient but still accomplish the goal of keeping your ads from showing for irrelevant search queries.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Amber,

As PPCBossman pointed out, if you have structured your AdWords account well, each keyword theme should be in its own ad group.

So, if you have an ad group that just has your "pods" keywords in it, you can add rental and renting as broad negatives at the ad group level.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amber, 

There is no broad match modifier negative keywords

Regards,

Zaby

Adwords Consultant 

My Site