AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier selects keywords unprecisely

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we are using Keywords with Broad Match Modifier (BMM). There is the shortest way to say that keyword, so we use it to make sure to catch all search terms. Let's say that keyword is:

+haircut +saloon

Now there are a few words in the search terms that occur again and agian, e.g "best" or "beard". My keyword would catch them, because it is BMM. But we want higher controll about biding and Quality Score (QS), so let's create extra keywords for that. In total there are now 4 keywords:

+haircut +saloon

+best +haircut +saloon

+men +haircut +saloon

+best +men +haircut +saloon

Here is our problem:  When a person searches for "what is the best men haircut saloon?", that search term might trigger ALL keywords, although "+best +men +haircut +saloon" would have been the most precise choose. This happens all the time; it seems like adwords chooses the keyword completely random, as long as it fits. The shortest keyword can always get triggered.

Now this is a big problem, since it totally destroys the purpose of dividing the keywords like this. We can not even use keyword insertion, since the keyword inserted might be the wrong one --> the QS will suffer. 

Is there any solution to this? I think this is not the behaviour you would expect. Adding more adgroups for each variation is not an option for us, since it would multiply the amount of ad groups by 4, just for this small variation in wording. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author André B
April 2016

Re: Broad Match Modifier selects keywords unprecisely

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@André B;

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but two points to note:

The system is quite sophisticated in choosing which  keyword is matched with a search term.

The two governing rules are: 

1. The more restrictive / exact keywords has a priority;
  2. The keyword with the higher ad-rank has a priority.

Those two rules are optimized to in a sophisticated algorithm until a keyword wins,

Read the full explanation:

How similar keywords match to search terms

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

This is not the proper way of using BMM.

+haircut
haircut
These both are same thing.

While using BMM, use at least 2 words combinations.

In your case,
+best +haircut
+beard +haircut
These two combinations are enough to trigger the ads for any of the 4 combinations used by you.

Else, restrict the irrelevant traffic with the help of negative keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

thanks for your reply. Our actual keywords are much longer, all of them are long tail. I just used "+haircut" as an easy example to explain my question.

It does catch all search terms. But often it is not the best fitting keyword. As in the example, sometimes "+best +bear +haircut" would be the closest fit, but it can also trigger the keywords "+best +haircut", "+beard +haircut" and "+haircut". This is a problem for QS and for managing the keywords in general.

Negative keywords can not solve this problems, since all 4 keywords are in the same ad group.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

QS is highly dependable on the exact match keywords.

So, more your keyword is exactly similar to user's query, more it will contribute in QS.

With a combination of +best +haircut and +beard +haircut, you can use [best beard haircut] in exact match also.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I edited the example in the main post. Thanks for the hint. And sorry, I am awefull at examples!

I am not sure what you mean. We choose BMM on purpose, since there is a hughe variety of search terms showing up. Our keywords are extremely long tail (people use 6-10 words), exact match is just an option for a very few combinations that show up a lot.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Better to use phrase match instead of exact match. Phrase match will give you option with extended reach while exact will limit only with those keywords used by you.

If you want to use all 4(as per your edited post), you can use like this:
+haircut +saloon
"best haircut saloon"
"men haircut saloon"
[best men haircut saloon]

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We have to stick with BMM or Broad. That was just an example, our actual keywords look different. The order of the words can be changed, there can be words between... phrase and exact do not deliver that.

I would like to find an answer for my question: Why adwords doesn't choose the best fitting keyword for a searchterm. If I am doing something wrong, or if it is a bug, or if it was just never intended to be "that smart" in selecting a keyword.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author André B
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@André B;

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but two points to note:

The system is quite sophisticated in choosing which  keyword is matched with a search term.

The two governing rules are: 

1. The more restrictive / exact keywords has a priority;
  2. The keyword with the higher ad-rank has a priority.

Those two rules are optimized to in a sophisticated algorithm until a keyword wins,

Read the full explanation:

How similar keywords match to search terms

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! This is a very good answer. So even if the "wrong" keyword gets triggered by a searchterm, it has the higher ad rank and is therefore the better choice.

The only downside I see is: If the shortes keyword ("+haircut saloon") has a significantly higher bid and therefore also ad rank, it could get triggered although Quality Score is lower than for the "best fitting" keyword. That would cause extra costs.

But in total that's good news and QS is not suffering as I expected. Thanks! Question is answered.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Andre,

There is another way to handle this situation. If you are trying to add different variations of BMM in a campaign, you need to work extensively in negative and good Ad Group structure.

Here is the example

Ad Group Keywords Negative Keywords
Haircut Saloon +haircut +saloon best, men
Best Haircut Saloon +best +haircut +saloon men
Men Haircut Saloon +men +haircut +saloon best
Best Men Haircut Saloon +best +men +haircut +saloon  

In this way, you can control the cannibalization of keywords. But this will require a lot of efforts and resource.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’