Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier Without Spaces

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding broad match modifiers.

We have recently brought our Adwords in-house.

There are keywords added to the account that are meant to be broad match modifier however have been added like so (example):

+google+is+awesome

however, I was under the impression due to finding information here: https://www.google.co.uk/ads/innovations/bmm.html that the modifiers are meant to have spaces between like so:

+google +is +awesome

Although it is clearly stated in the above link that this is the case, I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why that is, and the difference that it will make having no spaces?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modifier Without Spaces

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting to the Community! As far as best practices go, you definitely should have spaces between the words, as you illustrated in your second example. I'm not sure if you would necessarily see adverse results from excluding the spaces, but as far keeping account management easy and streamlined, I'd recommend including the spaces.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie,

Thank you for your response.

So have Google never specified a reason why no spacing could have adverse effects? It just seemed very strange to me that they would be extremely blunt in their what eg:

"Right way to do it: +formal +shoes. Wrong way to do it: +formal+shoes. Another incorrect usage: + formal + shoes."

But then fail to give a why!

After testing a little further I have found that there is a difference in the advised first page bids between spaced and non spaced broad match modified keywords. This does indicate to me that there must be some sort of difference in the way Google Adwords deals with the different keywords, but knowing what that difference is would be extremely useful to me in the long run.

Its always hard to convince people of "best practices" if I can't then support it with a why. I would get a response of "Surely consistency is then more important than the actual structure of the keywords?" Implying that being consistently 'wrong' is okay.

If anyone knows anything of this your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again For your input Cassie.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew C
January 2016

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Matthew,

By definition, broad match modifier is formatted with plus signs directly in front of the words you want to require in the search, with spaces following each individual word. This is the way you will find it on the official help page here.

If you do not format it this way, you're taking a risk that the system will not recognize that keyword as broad match modified, and it may instead treat it as a broad match term, which defeats the purpose.

Hope this helps!
Cassie