AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier Duplicate with Phrase or Exact Match?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Experts,

I was told from one of Google Rep that having all type of keyword match in one ad group will be consider as duplicate. So I just want to take a view on same from other experts.

1. If I have exact match and BMM in same ad group is it duplicate?
  2. if I have exact, phrase and BMM in same ad group is it duplicate?
  3. If I have exact and phrase match in same ad group is it duplicate?
  4. If I have phrase match and BMM in same ad group is it duplicate?

Which one is right and recommended here. Please only experienced person suggest good answer.

Thanks.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modifier Duplicate with Phrase or Exact Match?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mansoor,

Having all type of keywords in the same ad group isnt duplicate. Its just making sure that you have maximum coverage. What could happen is that your broad keyword could trigger the phrase or exact match type of the same keyword if they all are in the same ad group. Hence, I suggest having different ad groups for different match type thus ensuring right match type triggers from the right place.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for writing..
Again I have just calked with another google rep and she is saying it will be duplicate and will compete with each other.

So, what is right here?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, as i mentioned, it will compete with each other but it isn't a duplicate!

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Mansoor S;

With the classic strategy you  are using, the  common practice  to ensure that the  best  mach type will be matched to the search query  and trigger the ad  is to bid higher on exact, lower on phrase, and the lowest on broad match.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Rohit Khanna already answered it to the point. Just wanted to add one thing...

Keeping all possible match types in the single ad group is definitely not something I advise. And there's no point to it as well.

The aim of any advertiser is to get the maximum yet relevant exposure, and to achieve that if you are using BMM and Exact match with proper negatives in place, it covers everything. If one  is using both BMM and Exact, there's no point using other match types like phrase, doing that will obviously create unnecessary infighting even before the keywords appear in the auction. 

One more thing, whenever you choose more than one match type, go with tiered bidding, i.e. bid least on broad match, lesser on phrase or BMM, and the maximum on exact. I am sure you would understand the logic behind this. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

As @MosheTLV & @Ratan-Jha mentioned, i also follow the same practice, whether i have all the match types in one ad group or different, i follow a bidding hierarchy, wherein broad gets the lowest and exact gets the highest bid ensuring the query gets matched to the best keyword match type

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
All your keywords compete with each other... there is an "internal" auction before the "external" auction - where Google will decide which of your keywords is the best one to send forward into the auction with competitors.

But the implication here is that will push up the bids - THAT is nonsense - the bids are determined as the keyword is presented in the external auction.... when you compete with competitors.

if someone searches for blue widgets and you have an exact match keyword of [blue widgets] then (all things being equal - like bids and quality scores) that will be the keyword that goes forth in your behalf to the external auction.

If the search is for quality blue widgets, then the exact version cannot represent you, so Google will look for the next best option - probably the "blue widgets" phrase match.

Like Ratan Jha - I like to separate out my different match types into their own groups - it just makes them easier to manage.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Mansoor,

I'm with Steve on this. These are not duplicates as they are different match types. But, when you look at the UI, the QS is always based on exact match. The bubble tool may tell you the keyword does not trigger ads because another keyword gets the impression. That's all based on the exact phrase and does not take into account the match type. That doesn't really mean they compete.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for writing. I will stick with BMM and exact match with proper negative keywords. Even the others have their own opinions here I feel I still need to test this if it will work or not.