2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier Confusion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Is it necessary to be "every word of broad match modified keyword" must present in user's search querry in any order?

For Example:

My Broad Match Modified Keyword: 

+British +Airways +Direct +Flights to +India

Does My Ad will trigger if a user searches following Search term

"Direct Flights to India"?

"British Airways flights to india"

Or "British Airways Chennai Flights"?

Please explain

Man Frustrated

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Modifier Confusion

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Shiv, as Santosh has said, all the terms with a + sign must appear in the search query for the Keyword to be matched.

However, I will make one slight correction to the information Santosh has given.  Modified Broad Match Keywords do not match on synonyms (words with the same meaning).  MBM Keywords have a more restrictive "close variation" than the simple Broad match Keywords, as explained here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shiv B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jennifer,

There's no real right or wrong for modified broad, it just depends on what you want your ad to show for. The great thing about modified broad, though, is that it doesn't have to be super specific, because you can ensure that the appropriate qualifiers are included in a searcher's query. All that to say, I wouldn't modify "in", I would use +study +abroad +uk, that way you would open yourself up to searches such as "uk study abroad programs", "programs for uk study abroad", etc.

Your broad match keyword will match to these, too, but you might get TOO broad of traffic with your broad match keyword. With broad match (not modified), the searcher's query doesn't have to include every word that you have specified. You could get searches for study abroad in Australia, etc.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shiv,
No Ad won't triggered for any of the search term that you have mentioned ("Direct Flights to India"?
"British Airways flights to india"
Or "British Airways Chennai Flights"?).

In case of Broad matcg modified keywords all the words must be included in search query that have plus sign before them.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shiv,
For example

Broad match modifier: +laptop +computers

May show for: laptop computer reviews, laptop computer manual

Keywords with the "+" sign must appear in the user's search exactly or as a close variant, such as misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like "computer" and "computing"). Additional words may also appear in the user's search.

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Shiv, as Santosh has said, all the terms with a + sign must appear in the search query for the Keyword to be matched.

However, I will make one slight correction to the information Santosh has given.  Modified Broad Match Keywords do not match on synonyms (words with the same meaning).  MBM Keywords have a more restrictive "close variation" than the simple Broad match Keywords, as explained here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Still get a bit confused with broad modifier...

In the below example, is using the modifier before the 'in' unnecessary if I already have it listed in broad, phrase and exact matches?

study abroad in UK
+study +abroad +in +UK
"study abroad UK"
[study abroad UK]

it seems like the correct usage of MBM might be: +study +abroad in +UK

? Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shiv B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jennifer,

There's no real right or wrong for modified broad, it just depends on what you want your ad to show for. The great thing about modified broad, though, is that it doesn't have to be super specific, because you can ensure that the appropriate qualifiers are included in a searcher's query. All that to say, I wouldn't modify "in", I would use +study +abroad +uk, that way you would open yourself up to searches such as "uk study abroad programs", "programs for uk study abroad", etc.

Your broad match keyword will match to these, too, but you might get TOO broad of traffic with your broad match keyword. With broad match (not modified), the searcher's query doesn't have to include every word that you have specified. You could get searches for study abroad in Australia, etc.

Does that help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes- thank you!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help! Smiley Happy