Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modified Synonyms On Locations

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I've had some great success with location-centred keywords on my campaigns. I often chose to add these in the broad match-modified format though and I'm wondering what the impact is on 'locking in' that particular location vs leaving it 'fully broad'.

On any normal keyword, you'd lock in a word when you didn't want Google to trigger under a synonym of that word as far as I understand. So my question is whether it makes a difference on geo-keywords?

For example, if I have a term like "+plumbers london", will leaving 'london' broad mean that it could come up for London-based boroughs or London postcodes?

EG:

'+plumbers london' triggers: plumbers westminster, plumbers SW2, plumbers kings road

and

'+plumbers +london' triggers: plumbers london, plumber london (etc with stemmings and misspellings)

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad Match Modified Synonyms On Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
Adding a location (especially a big one like London) as part of a  keyword (aka: location by intent) is a redundancy. Location should be set using the Geo targeting,
You could consider adding a location as part of the keywords for small places, towns or in countries in which Geo targeting is not available at city level.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Tabitha,

As a side note here, some of the advertisers also use this strategy to find their right audiences:-

1. Target specific location inside campaign settings (from a particular country which is the primary focus) and use generic keywords to cover up all aspects.

2. Target rest of the parts of the country (excluding that location) and then use the location based keywords to expand your reach (if that makes sense).

My couple of cents!
Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe,

I've always added locations to keywords (if the volume warrants including them), despite having targeted locations set.

I do this for two main reasons:

1. I have always considered this a way to generate longer tail keywords.

2. I also include them in separate ad groups, if having a campaign specific to each region is not feasible. This allows for the ad text to be written specific to each location - which in my experience increases click through rates.

Would you agree with appending locations to keywords in these two cases?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Kevin M;

I agree that this is a well known strategy, especially when you add those KWs in a separate ad-group. It's perfectly fine, but a redundancy, which means more work in structuring a campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I guess you always have to weigh up the additional management that these strategies generate with the results they return.

Thanks for your response, Moshe.

Cheers.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I agree;

Here Google's video about the redundancy of  Geo location targeting; (time stamp 1:50)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Generally speaking, when a search query for a product or service includes a location, the intent to purchase is much higher.

I strongly recommend using exact and phrase match keyword & location keywords in their own ad groups (or even campaigns), combined with ads that mention the location.

Additionally, broad match modified keywords with locations can be used for keyword discovery.