AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Keywords Search Volumes

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am looking for better understanding on Broad match keywords search volumes.

So, for insatnce, if you are researching keywords volumes on Google keyword tool, with these parameters :

Keyword to research for : Paris tour

Locaton : India

Language : English

Devices : Desktops & Laptops

Match Type : Broad

We'll get below mentioned results(mentioning only top 6 over here) :

KeywordGlobal Monthly SearchesLocal Monthly Searches (India)
paris tour4500005400
tour paris4500005400
tour of paris4500005400
tour to paris4500005400
tour from paris4500005400
tour in paris4500005400

Now, if we look at the Local search volumes, it's same for all the top 6 keywords.

So, if we have to figure out the total numbers of searches around 'Paris tour' theme, then the search volumes for all keywords should be added (K1-5400+K2-5400+.....) or should this we considered for only once (K1+K2...+K6 - Search volume = 5400)

Please let me know you guys thoughts on this.

~Rehan 

~Rehan
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Keywords Search Volumes

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rehan,

When creating a comprehensive keyword list for clients, you have to ensure that your own keywords are not cannibalizing each other's traffic. If you add the term 'paris tours' in an ad group, it is important that you add negative keywords like 'packages' related to the other keywords in that ad group. You can take 'Phrase' search volumes as a better measure of visibility in this case as you will be blocking most other variations with negative keywords.

It is not possible to give clients an exact estimate as the keyword tool gives approximate numbers. Taking 'Phrase' will help you obtain a ballpark figure. Having said that, in some cases where phrase becomes too restrictive, and you would like to have more traffic (for instance, your core keywords), it is better to give clients the 'Broad' search volumes upfront, so as not to get a nasty surprise later.

Keyword research is a variable process and will depend on the vertical to be advertised for, as well as the goals of the campaign.

Hope this helps a little.

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Rehan,

If you use broad match than: tour of paris, tour to paris, tour in paris are kind of the "same keyword" so you shouldn't do accumulate counting - or In your words it means that "(K1+K2...+K6 - Search volume = 5400)".

If you want to see the different search volume of  each keyword - do your research in "phrase mach / exact match".

Cheers,
Asaf

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
The keyword 'paris tour' in broad has a search volume of 5400 in India. This includes all variations like 'tour paris', 'tour of paris', 'tour from paris', etc. as the same broad keyword 'paris tour' will be matched to all these queries.
-Heta
Heta

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

asafpaz - You are right, all these search terms are "same keyword".

I also think this way, but this logic seems to fail when you further look down the keywords :

KeywordGlobal Monthly SearchesLocal Monthly Searches (India)
paris travel tour905001600
sightseeing tour paris222001000
paris package tour6600720
tour packages in paris5400590
city tour in paris9900390
switzerland paris tour720320
bus tour of paris18100260
hotel de la tour eiffel paris18100210
tour guides in paris5400170
coach tour to paris14800140

All the above mentiond keywords have words "Paris & Tour" but they have different local search volumes.

So if we go by "broad match" definition then the search volume of all these keywords phrases containing "Paris & Tour" should be same?

Now, if we quote the reason behind this as due to diiferent keywords intent (like having bus, hotel, guide etc. as a word in keywords which changes the intent), then the basic objective of broad match seems to have gone for a toss, which says given keywords should be in search string in any order.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

~Rehan

~Rehan

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Rehan,

When you do the research using Keyword Tool, there are various statistics and factors considered by Google. Sticking merely to the definition of Broad match type keyword while doing a research will not be an ideal solution according to me.

If you happen to read what Local searches are, then it says:- 

"The approximate 12-month average number of search terms matching each keyword. This statistic is specific to your targeted country and language. If we don't have enough data for a particular keyword, you'll see this noted within the column."

Now based on this definition, I would certainly like to make a point about relevancy factor which is a hard core ingredient for Google considering any metrics in Adwords. Hence if the relevancy of any particular search term matching each keyword is higher and people have searched more using that as compared to some similar search term, then obviously the Local as well as Global Monthly Search volume for the first one would be higher compared to the second one.

There are many internal algorithms/calculations by which Google estimate these various statistics which we are not aware of. Seasonal factors, some web trends coming up instantly etc... does matter a lot.   In nut shell, I would like to stress on one point i.e. quality keywords which are important for your business in any of the match types depending upon how well you can control the relevant traffic. So, identify the best keywords and start optimizing. Results will surely come Smiley Happy

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rehan,

The search volumes of these keywords would be included in the search volume for 'paris tours' as all such search queries would match the keyword 'paris tours'.

The search volumes that you see against each of these keywords is specifically for that keyword, that is, for search queries including all the terms in that keyword. The keyword 'paris tour packages' in the ideal scenario should not trigger your ad when a user searches for 'paris tour' and therefore should not include search volumes related to 'paris tours'. 

- Heta

Heta

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks pankaj1782 & heta_convonix!

Basic question : Identify approximate number of searches happening, on a given categroy/theme (For instance, Paris Tour)

Answer I am looking for : Best way/methodology for calculating number of searches happening for a given category.

I would like to further explain my question & the reason behind this question.

When we picth to a client, specially for client who haven't undertaken any PPC program & have little understanding about digital marketing, we have to present our case along with number of searches happening around their products/services to convince them that they are really loosing potential business withot digital/ppc marketing.

For this we have to research thousands of keywords to create a comprehensive search landscape for Client's products/services & show them promising number of searches happening relevant to them (like, X Million of searches are 

happening per month around Paris tour)

So, if we have to arrive to an approximate number of seach volumes for a given catgory, then that should be based on Unique keywords search volumes & their shouldn't be duplicate as this will highly inflate numbers.

Now, if you look search volumes at Broad match level, then they all are not unique, so as per discussion till now on this thread, we can't sum up the search volumes to calculate overall search volumes. Then how can we identify which keywords search volumes needs to be included & which to excluded.

If for this purpose, we should do this research with Exact match, then the search volumes which appear are so low that based on those numbers you can't make a point to convince client. (On Broad match if sum of search volumes is in Millions, then on Exact match you may be left with few thousands)

Can anyone help me on this.

~Rehan 

~Rehan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rehan,

When creating a comprehensive keyword list for clients, you have to ensure that your own keywords are not cannibalizing each other's traffic. If you add the term 'paris tours' in an ad group, it is important that you add negative keywords like 'packages' related to the other keywords in that ad group. You can take 'Phrase' search volumes as a better measure of visibility in this case as you will be blocking most other variations with negative keywords.

It is not possible to give clients an exact estimate as the keyword tool gives approximate numbers. Taking 'Phrase' will help you obtain a ballpark figure. Having said that, in some cases where phrase becomes too restrictive, and you would like to have more traffic (for instance, your core keywords), it is better to give clients the 'Broad' search volumes upfront, so as not to get a nasty surprise later.

Keyword research is a variable process and will depend on the vertical to be advertised for, as well as the goals of the campaign.

Hope this helps a little.

- Heta

Heta

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HELLO,

Yes I Also Agree To The Fact That , Using Broad Match For a Search like " Paris Tour " can cause you wastage of keywords. Its Like Spreading Your Quality Traffic On Low Keywords . 

Imstead use Exact Match and Phrase Match to check the best quality keywords and improve on good keywords only which will increase your traffic and your QS ultimately .  

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello heta_convonix,

Thanks for your revert!

I do understand that it's not possible to figure out accurate search volumes but when we say estimated, the variance can be 20% - 30% at max but it couldn't be 80%-90% & in case of Broad Vs Phrase/Exact, search volumes varies in very high range, which means if the wrong match type is taken into consideration, you are in trouble.

~Rehan

~Rehan