AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Keywords Competing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I recently inherited an AdWords account that seems to be fighting with itself. I keep having the incorrect ads showing and I'm wondering if the keywords are too broad, allowing the ad with the higher rank to take over when I wouldn't want it to.

For example:

Blue Leather Shoes Ad Group

- Keywords (all broad): blue leather shoes, buy blue leather shoes, dark blue leather shoes

Red Leather Shoes Ad Group

- Keywords (all broad): red leather shoes, buy red leather shoes, light red leather shoes

If I search for 'red leather shoes' it's actually bringing up the Blue Leather Shoes Ad Group instead of the red.

What would be the best way to counter this? There are many more ad groups (green,yellow,purple.. and on) so I'd rather not add every other color as a negative... is there a better way?

Thanks ahead for the advice!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Keywords Competing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SP-Sean,

I would suggest you take a look at some alternative match types and how they interact.  This will help you out quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, either change match types or else use negatives to override which ads get triggered. For example, in your Blue Shoes group, use red as a negative and vice versa.

P.S. Re-reading your initial post, I see you don't want to use negatives, but that is often the best way to go.  You can use the ad preview tool to get an idea as to which ads are likely to be triggered for a given search query.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SP-Sean,

I would suggest you take a look at some alternative match types and how they interact.  This will help you out quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, either change match types or else use negatives to override which ads get triggered. For example, in your Blue Shoes group, use red as a negative and vice versa.

P.S. Re-reading your initial post, I see you don't want to use negatives, but that is often the best way to go.  You can use the ad preview tool to get an idea as to which ads are likely to be triggered for a given search query.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have slowly been adding some modified broad keywords with limited results. My fear there is that I'll cut way down on the impressions generated and thus miss out on some clicks/conversions. Currently I've left the original broad matches in place along side the new modified broad.

As far as the negatives, I'd also like to continue showing for searches such as 'red and blue shoes' or 'red shoes with blue stripes' in some cases, so negatives may block that...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
you can use negative keyword "red leather shoes" to block Blue Leather Shoes Ad Group

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello SP-Sean,

Although your got some very good advice by Tom & Richard & DailyEarner, I would like to share some of my thoughts:

As you said, you are using only broad match keywords in your campaign and recently you are testing broad match modifier - I would recommned you to analyze search query report and add other match type as well such as exact and phrase.

Okay, When we run campaign on ALL broad match keywords we get clicks on many irrelevant terms too. Why to spend on terms not related to our campaign? It is advisable to add them all irrelevant negative keywords in your campaign. You can utilize match types when adding negative keywords. Negative Keyword Match Types can be set at both the Campaign and Ad Group level. Read more on Negative keywords here

You can make most out of your search query report in order to improve campaign performance. You may miss out on impressions by adding negaative keywords but surely you will get impressions/clicks on relevant terms. Quality is more important then quantity in Adwords. Test new strategies, ulitize match types & something does not work for you, you can always revert and look forward to test new strategies.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

you can use negative keyword "red" to block Blue Leather Shoes Ad Group