AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Breadcrumbs for a longer Display URL , has anyone tested them ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I am searching for new ways to use the ads and I have come across this useful info (Check the section

Long display URLs )    :

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/1704389?hl=en&ref_topic=2795922

"  

How to show breadcrumbs with your ads

You can edit your website's code and add breadcrumb annotations to show your ad with breadcrumbs. Remember, you're in control of the code that's used on your website to create breadcrumbs. Since we use the breadcrumb annotations from the landing page of your ad to create the breadcrumb links, you're also in control of which breadcrumbs are shown with your ad or whether breadcrumbs are shown at all. Learn more about how you can modify your website code to show breadcrumbs.

Bradcrumbs and costs

We'll charge you each time a customer clicks any link on your ad, regardless of whether the link clicked is the headline of your ad or a breadcrumb link. You can decide the maximum amount you'd like to pay for a click by setting a cost-per-click (CPC) bid.

View your breadcrumb performance data

You can use segments to see how your breadcrumbs are performing. To see the number of times someone clicked your breadcrumb links to visit your website, select the Ads tab and segment your data by "Click type". Your performance data will be included in the "Breadcrumb" click type.  "

1) Has anyone use them or are they just like the more modern "sitelinks" ?

2) Do they add advertising space in your Top ads and can work with sitelinks at the same time providing links to more resources on the site ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Breadcrumbs for a longer Display URL , has anyone tested them ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for sharing Adrian. I never tried this one so no comments. Will try.

thanks,
Balu.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hey Adrian,

I've never even seen this! I have implemented on 2 of our sites. We will see what happens. If you find out anything, please let us know!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You should try reading the new certification curriculum updated for 2013, it is full of surprises, almost as a treasure chest. I wonder why they can't have a simple page to announce what they have updated , on what page and why. I guess they don't want to spoil the joy of finding a golden coin under the pile of sand.

The Rich snippets - breadcrumbs only work for me for the organic results, they provide no change in the appearance of ads from adwords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian, Do you have any update for it,
I have the same issue.
Breadcrumb Rich Snippet work only for my Organic Search Result, NOT adwords ad

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope I didn't manage to create that long Display URL but I have seen it with other Ads.

The purpose would have been to obtain an Ad just like they show in the example with a new display URL such as 

www.exampleshoes.com>Women shoes >Sandals

That linked help page I found has this type of long Display URL as part of a Paid an , not an organic listing . This link below ilustrates what we are supposed to obtain from the breadcrumbs setup :

https://www.google.com/help/hc/images/adwords/adwords_breadcrumbs_example_en.gif

What is weird is what I read here :

"  View your breadcrumb performance data

You can use segments to see how your breadcrumbs are performing. To see the number of times someone clicked your breadcrumb links to visit your website, select the Ads tab and segment your data by "Click type". Your performance data will be included in the "Breadcrumb" click type. "

If I use that "Click type" segment as they wrote , I see no row of data for "breadcrumb" click type.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have been having the same monitoring issue. The Click Type does not show any row with the title "Breadcrumb" at all.