Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Branded Search Campaigns For A Hospital

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I currently manage an advertising account for a large hospital, and have both brand campaigns for the hospital name itself as well as non-brand campaigns for service lines. The current hurdle is that the brand campaigns, while offering cheap clicks and lots of volume use up all of the current budget I have been allocated from my client.

Considering that when a user would search the hospital name there is no competition, would it be better to shut down the brand campaign, or at the very least the direct hospital name brand keywords in favor of advertising on services such as Cardiology or Orthopedics for example.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Branded Search Campaigns For A Hospital

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Brad,

Running Brand campaigns is good approach, If You are thinking, your organic ads are always on top, but what happen when your competitors starts running ads on your brand name keywords, They will drive traffic on your brand name keywords on their website.

Other benefits is that through brand keywords, you can directly show the latest offers and scheme, local business phone number with ads. All these features you might miss in the organic listing ads.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Brad.

To add to what Rakesh has told you, are your brand terms all at QS10? Are you making use of all the extensions available, in order to maximize your CTR and reduce your CPC?

You may find some extra dollars there, if you manage to reduce your CPC.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is a nice question;

I am a  great fan of brand campaigns,  your ads can  appear with  an ad-copy which is not necessarily shown in organic. (e.g the most advanced MRI in the region ...)

Furthermore, if you have some extra budget, I would carefully set a Remarketing campaign.  This is allowed in healthcare as long as do not promote specific illness or  treatments (that might reveal the user's health condition)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You already have all great answers above. But I would humbly like to put my thoughts along. 

I agree that targeting branded keywords through PPC adds to the total traffic of the website. Google already has a similar research to support the thought. But to me, it’s not all, there are more paths ahead.

Branded keywords can further be classified into two categories. First category is for keywords that include exactly the brand names like in exact match keywords. The second category is for keywords that include brand name along with other phrases.

For instance – for ABC Company, the first category of keywords would be – abccompany, abc company, abc co, abc organization, and so on… In the second category there would be keywords including this brand’s offerings as well. For example – abc company product name, abc company service name, best product name from abccompany and so on…

I have noticed that for a business that is more into selling something, the second category of branded keywords are more likely to convert. The first category keywords address information seeking search intent of the users, so they are likely to work more for branding and less for conversions.

The question is – what should you use?

As your budget is being eaten more by branded keywords, in my opinion, you should split keywords into groups as I mentioned above and then compare the profitability.

Look into your search terms report. Compare search queries to conversions, and if you notice that the first category of keywords is less fruitful, try excluding them with negative exact match. It has worked for me in the past, however I am not sure if it will the same for you.

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Brad,

I dont know what your goals are - conversions or signups?

I would suggest  you to even start with Ad-Scheduling along with all the suggestions given by Rakesh, Adwiser, Moshe & Ratan.

You can run your ads for a specific time every day. This way you would be able to save on your budget and use it for other campaigns.

Another strategy would be to lower your brand campaign budgets and use a seperate combined budget for other campaigns.

Hope this helps!Man Happy