AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Brand keywords, segmentation and negative keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

What advice do people have regarding bidding on brand keywords?

I'm trying to fix the AdWords account for a large ecommerce store with terrible quality scores across the account. They have great organic results for their brand keywords and I want to start bidding on these partly because the high click-through rates should improve the account's overall quality score.

What are your views on running a separate brand keywords campaign and segmenting ad groups by match type?

Do you segment further by brand name, then by each product brand name etc?

How should negative keywords be used?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author G Key
September 2015

Re: Brand keywords, segmentation and negative keywords.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I approve of advertising on brand keywords. These can help boost the client's exposure in general and, as you say, work to support other, more product/service-specific keywords.

I tend to use a separate campign for brand keywords. How much I segment depends on performance. While I always put the Modified Broad Match keywords in a separate Ad Group, for easier management, I often put the Phrase and Exact match keywords in the same Ad Group. (As I said, it depends on performance.)

What I might do is segment the kind of brand search. I sometimes put searches on a client's URL into a separate Ad Group, for instance, under the theory that a searcher who already knows the URL is more likely to visit the website anyhow, so the advertiser should pay less for those clicks. (Especially if their organic SEO is good.)

Just my $0.02.

- - - - -

Negative keywords are fairly simple.

For the Modified Broad Ad Group, I put the phrase and exact match of the keyword(s) as a negative (being careful not to block the client's brand name itself).  

For the Phrase match Ad Group, I put only the exact match of the keyword as a negative.

For the Exact match Ad Group, I don't use any negative keywords.

Make sense?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You will find many strategies on that; depending on the number of the keywords, and the targeting method.

Generally; I echo @Theresa_Zook. I also like to separate brand names, put BMM KWs and exact mach KWs in a separate ad-groups,  (with specific ad copies  and  DKI for  the exact match). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I approve of advertising on brand keywords. These can help boost the client's exposure in general and, as you say, work to support other, more product/service-specific keywords.

I tend to use a separate campign for brand keywords. How much I segment depends on performance. While I always put the Modified Broad Match keywords in a separate Ad Group, for easier management, I often put the Phrase and Exact match keywords in the same Ad Group. (As I said, it depends on performance.)

What I might do is segment the kind of brand search. I sometimes put searches on a client's URL into a separate Ad Group, for instance, under the theory that a searcher who already knows the URL is more likely to visit the website anyhow, so the advertiser should pay less for those clicks. (Especially if their organic SEO is good.)

Just my $0.02.

- - - - -

Negative keywords are fairly simple.

For the Modified Broad Ad Group, I put the phrase and exact match of the keyword(s) as a negative (being careful not to block the client's brand name itself).  

For the Phrase match Ad Group, I put only the exact match of the keyword as a negative.

For the Exact match Ad Group, I don't use any negative keywords.

Make sense?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa,

I hadn't thought of making an Ad Group for the URL. It's a long URL so I'll look at catching misspellings too.

Yes, using negative keywords like that does make sense.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You will find many strategies on that; depending on the number of the keywords, and the targeting method.

Generally; I echo @Theresa_Zook. I also like to separate brand names, put BMM KWs and exact mach KWs in a separate ad-groups,  (with specific ad copies  and  DKI for  the exact match). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe, DKI on exact match is gold. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa, I have an Ad group for exact match brand URLs but I'm a bit surprised that the estimated first place bids are over $1. While it is a big brand, I'm reasonably sure nobody is bidding on the URL.

Do you just low ball the bids?