Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Brand bidding

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Would like to get peoples opinion on brand bidding, now i know under normal circumstances its a must, but when there is no competitors bidding on your brand terms is there any worth to it? Am i just cannibalizing organic traffic by doing this?

Thanks

Jonathan

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Brand bidding

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jonny,

That's a good question! Smiley Happy

There's a general consent in the PPC world that companies should bid for brand. I believe you'll probably see almost all AdWords users saying you should do it, regardless having competition or not.

I always like to analyse case by case. Some companies do not perform well organically, even for their brand name, in that case, I would almost certainly suggest bidding. But there are some cases, where the organic results are good enough to live well on their own.

As I do SEO myself, I tend to look at it first and later come into a decision about brand bidding. So many times I see companies that can improve significantly their SEO, before deciding bidding on brand. I could be here all day providing speficif examples, but the main point for me is, this is not a question of "yes" or "no" - it will depend on many factors -.

E.g, when companies are promoting a specific product or service that doesn't come across clear under organic search - even when ranking 1st -. This is a great opportunity to make good use of PPC and try to drive traffic to a specific landing page.

Like I said, I think for most PPC guys out there, brand bidding is almost a no-brainer, but not so much for me. I know it's "cheap" and can garantee more exposure, but I always take time to racionalize it in a business prespective before going ahead.

In the end there's one thing I have to say, with or without competition - for branded PPC -, it does no harm doing it.

Diogo

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jonny582,

I believe to run adwords campaign for brand terms even when there is no competition:

- It enhance the brand value and add more authenticity in users eyes.

- We can keep "punch lines" in our adcopy along with sitelinks, call extension, review extensions etc.

- Terms like Official Website, trademarks symbols can be use in the adcopy which is again helps enhance value of website.

- You can send visitors to specific landing page for products and services.

- Sometimes when you show regular search ads, people land on your page and they search for brand. When they see results paid + organic it catches attention.

- Brand keywords mostly perform very well as they have very good quality score, high ctr, less avg cpc and high conversion rate. It helps increase both traffic for your website and mostly (valuable traffic) and also increase conversions.

- Its not necessary you will always be on number 1 position for organic results. In this case Brand AdWords adcopy win the game.
That's my opinion! I am sure other can shed some light here too!

Thanks
Neha Gupta
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi

In my country actually we did run digital campaign for a big monopoly industry. Even though you don't have a competitor at the moment it's always worth to keep your name there. To make brand awareness and also it will be a help in case if there is going to be any competition in the future.

Personally i don't think that investment is a waste.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

There are some very valid points there but I disagree with some of them for this example. Organically there is no competition, there is also no paid competitor bidding. So for me i see no value in a paid presence unless its to promote a special offer etc. By having a paid presence i am paying for traffic i would have organically picked up. 99% of the time i would bid on brand but this time i see no real value.