AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Brand New campaign not running due to low ad rank (seeking intermediate level advice)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've done a lot of digging and research and I feel like I understand what I need to do, but the cost is just a lot higher than I was hoping for. I said intermediate advice because I've been through adwords training and ran ads in the past, but it's been about 7 years, so I'm rusty.

If I let a few clicks go through at the really high cost, will the click cost go down? Seems like I remember clicks affecting ad rank too.

I've got just a few keywords for my campaign so far. They are used in the ad and on the landing page. I know Yoast isn't perfect, but I used it to check my keywords usage on the page.

Is there any way to get better insight into why my ad rank might be low and causing the cost to be a lot higher than the keyword tool predicted. I thought the prediction was high at about $7, but I couldn't get any impressions until my bid was over $15 and now the auto bid has gone up to $20. I can't afford that.

Most of the keywords I'd consider instead get pretty low traffic, so I don't' want to start there. Are there any tips beyond the "make it relevant" advice or ways to get a better picture of what Google considers relevant? Or if it's just a really competitive keyword? Or if getting a few clicks under my belt will help the cost go down?

Thank you!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Brand New campaign not running due to low ad rank (seeking intermediate level advice)

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kassy,

Check out your competitors for your preferred keyword. They are clearly happy to be bidding that high, so have a look at their site, their product, their prices, their ad and their landing page. Try and imagine how they are making money and why they can afford higher clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's also what's strange to me, I'm having a hard time figuring out who is advertising. It's a very targeted location and I'm not personally in that location, but I can't get any adwords ads to show up for my keyword if I use the location area name. There are some advertisers on Yelp, they don't have anything special at all. I think what I've created it equally good. But mine is a newer site, so less SEO juice because of fewer backlinks, time, etc.

But is it possible to improve ad rank once I start getting clicks on the ads? I don't want to waste time on this keyword if it's going to cost $20/click always. If it takes 4 clicks to close a sale, I'm losing money.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you have to have a conversion every 4th click, that's a 25% conversion rate.  Not to discourage you, but just to let you know that is likely an unrealistic expectation because there are very few landing pages which convert to sales at 25% of paid traffic. 

Click-through-ratio is a big component of your quality score, and quality score plays a direct role in your ads ranking.  So yes, if you start to get clicks, and a good quality score (above ~1%), it will improve your ad rank. 

Have you used the keyword diagnosis tool?  On the keywords tab, it is on the "Details" drop-down button.  That might help you identify and issues and it factors in the geo-targeting.

Some keywords will be flagged by Google as "low volume", especially in locally-targeted markets.  But it is ok to leave them in your campaign. It may turn out that they fire (match to search terms, displaying your ads) over time.

"SEO juice", backlinks, time, etc of your landing page is not a factor with AdWords.  Only on the organic rankings side.  There is some overlap between seo/organic search (mostly landing page keyword density) but not much.  They are separate animals. 

hth

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I love your Question @Kassy K and i sense you are in a competitive Market on the Search Auction  .

Your Competitors might be a big business . Yes ! They have a lot of Resources, thats why they can Spend so Much to Bid .

Instead of thinking about them let's look at how to get a low actual cost per click .

1. Go for long tail keywords (Exact match) for that same keyword type . Example Competitors are going for broad term keyword "Google Phone" let's go for "Cost of Google Phone" or "Google Phone online store" even if we are going to pay high Cost -Per-Click . Certainly there high tendency that Prospective Customer are going to Convert .

- Make sure you doing a proper keyword Research and Narrow your audience since you know what you want.

- Get a valid Market data Report, We have to do a proper Market Research and Keywords to Understand our Audience, Because that is our chance of getting high Return on Investment (ROI) .

2. Let's Take a Look at our Landing page : We don't want to waste Funds Because every $ dollar is Precious to us . Since we are aware our Competitors have a lot of resources to use .

- Make Good Contents that can bring Trust ,and aid conversion . Remember Prospective customer must see a relevant Landing page related to your Ads. Remember relevance helps in Increasing Quality Score which reducing Cost Per Click and Improves Ads Rank .

This should tell you that your Campaign and Ads groups must be well Structured and Related.

- Make use of good call to action buttons : Remember again that our Competitors are high paying Competitors and in addition to our Unique selling proposition we have to engage them and persuade them to take action . Perhaps to Contact us !

3. Take a Look at your Adwords Campaign Structure : Having a good Structure in themes (Relevance of Ads groups and Ads) . Which will reduce Cost-Per-Click . The Default Keyword Quality Score is 6/10 . Work on getting 8/10 or 10/10 .

Tips: Watch Negative Keywords that are wasting Funds ! And make sure your Ads are Excellent Has well . Don't forget to make use of Promotions (Promo) . It aids Conversion !

I hope the above helps . If you have any information that can shed more light , so i can think of better Strategy let me know . Cheers! 

Lastly go for SEO its a Long term Strategy !