Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Brand Campaigns Losing Impression Share to Rank - No Change in Bid Strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Everyone,

I could use some advice. My brand campaigns have great performance so our goal is to have as close to 100% impression share as possible. I have had them in a top position bidding strategy through DoubleClick Search for awhile--7 months or longer. This has worked great and I had around a 99% IS up until this month.

Right now, I'm at a 75% for the month - all lost to rank. I made no changes to the bid strategy, and all my keywords have quality scores of 9 and 10 since they're branded terms. I also have an average position of 1. 

I read that Google is making changes to Ad Rank threshold based on query categories: http://searchengineland.com/adwords-ad-rank-changes-bid-query-meaning-275000

I'm wondering if this is affecting my branded terms already. Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, in this timeframe (that my impression share dropped for these campaigns) I've seen improvements in CTR, Conv. Rate and drops in CPC with no affect to revenue. So there's been no impact to revenue, but still somewhat alarming to be losing this amount of impressions. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I would not attribute it to the change Google has made, but rather to increase competition. Consider raising the bid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I checked my auction insights and no increase in competition that I can tell, and my bid strategy is set up to change to keep top position with very wide constraints for min and max bid. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

If nobody else is bidding on your brand, raising your bid is the first thing you should do - it won't cost you any more per click. The components of Ad Rank are quality score and bid. If your quality score hasn't changed, and Google says you lack of impression share is due to rank, then the answer is to raise your bid.

The other possibility is that recent AdWords changes have affected you. This would only be the case if your brand as some non-brand meaning. And Google has decided that your brand indicates information intent rather than transactional. 

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Dyana,

I agree with Moshe and Rob here. Even though you may have put automated rules in place to maintain higher position, it is always better to raise your bids on your keywords and then let the automated bids/rules take over.

Like Rob mentioned, if there is no change in competition, raising your bids will not affect you negatively and your CPC's should not be affected too much. Only thing you will surely see a change in is your IS.

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! I did manually raise my bids and have been checking back with them. 

The brand could have some non-brand meaning. It is a non-profit so I'm wondering if this change could affect them more than other brands that are transactional.