3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate increase despite no changes

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So we relaunched a new website and had to have our ad point to the new landing page url. There is no major difference in adcopy b/w the old landing page and the new one. However, the bounce rate is roughly 60% vs 10%; new vs old.

There have been no changes in ad targeting either. Does anyone know what would account for such a high bounce rate especially since I consider the new site has a better UX design.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bounce rate increase despite no changes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... Apparently the users don't think so.... (Ouch Smiley Surprised)

Can you share the URL of  the "old site"  vs. the "new"  so we could have a look 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you looking at your Bounce Rate in Analytics? If so, it could be an issue with referral spam. It's an issue my company has been dealing with recently. Check your acquisition and referral sources in Analytics.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Moshe- Both the old and new site are linked to my original thread.

@Dealers- It's not referral spam as the only referrer is Google. I'm looking in both Analytics and Google Adwords and both show high bounce rates.

It's weird because we are experiencing record-breaking sales of the product we're selling during this time period. I tried talking to the Adwords department but they weren't that helpful in pinpointing the issue.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Carl K

To me, your new website is giving you the true report while the previous might have implementation issues. A bounce rate of 10%? Practically, it's too good to be believed. 

Also, your old website has both Urchin and Universal version of the Analytics code. Any specific reason for such multiple instances? 

In my experience, for a website like yours a bounce rate of 45% to 65% is completely okay. However, you should keep working to enhance the UX to have better user-engagement and lesser bounce rates. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Carl K;

In my view, in terms of content,  page  design - both landing pages need(ed) a complete revamp. 

And as @Ratan-Jha mentioned, it seems  "good to be true" to have the "old" landing page with a bounce rate that low. 

The text is dense, fonts are small, too much text, the picture is not appealing to users, and the nature of the service you are offering is hard to understand.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Carl,

Are you tracking events on these pages at all? It looks to me like you're mostly linking off to 3rd party sites or documents (on the new page). Depending on if/how you're tracking clicks/events on these links will directly impact reported bounce rates.

I would stop and investigate your previous tracking installations as well as your current tracking installations and ensure that you're really tracking everything properly so when you look at bounce rates they actually mean something.

For instance, a click to a video, an email address or even a phone call, could all be positive user interactions that could result in a bounce (again, depending on how you're set up)...are they all bad bounces?

There are many ways to look at GA data but first, it's very important to understand what the metrics are actually reporting back to you and how that aligns with the goals you have for your landing pages.

The last thing I thought I'd mention is that I would imagine, and you can probably check this, that the "Learn more and purchase it here" link is missing from the new page. That seems to be the most prominent call to action on the old page and is no longer there.

You may want to also consider linking the "Next Steps" image somewhere or converting it to text as well - my first instinct was to click that as it looks like a call to action.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’