3.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Boost your AdWords account: Can we help with ROI tips?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We are pleased to introduce our first applicant who wishes to remain anonymous from Boost Your AdWords Account: Crowdsourcing Solutions for the Back-to-School Season. Welcome!

A few facts about the business: 

This is an example of a web shop selling quality apparel specifically for men. The product range varies from shirts to jeans & from shirts to trousers. The company's main challenge at the moment is getting more conversions out of his online store. The client wants to achieve a 2x ROI with the same range of products & discounts offered as of now. 

AdWords account: The AdWords account is currently targeting India, with majority of campaigns set to target the search network and a few campaigns are set to the display network. In the last 30 days the search CTR was at 3% and avg. position was at 1.3. The account has set up remarketing and PLAs. The account uses Sitelink, Product, Social & dynamic search ad extensions.

What this business needs help with: Improve ROI and conversions.

How can we help them to reach their goal? What should be done first, second, third? Please, share your ideas and tips.

Thank you!
Zee
G+
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Boost your AdWords account: Can we help Saket with ROI tips?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

OOhh.... Before we start optimization, there is an essential element to be addressed:

Please  remove the requirement  to provide an  email address to "gain exclusive access"  to the site. This seems to be a violation of the information harvesting section of the Policy;

I tried to click on the privacy policy to check what the  purpose / intent of asking for my email - I could not  do that - It's "greyed out"...

-Moshe

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
1. Looking at his CTR 3%, I would say it is low for the position 1.3. It means the account does not have proper structuring. They have to create specific Adgroups covering Specific keywords and Specific Ads reflecting specific keywords.
2. You said "Dynamic Search Ad Extensions". If I'm not wrong, if you use Dynamic Search Ads, you will be able to make use of this Ad Extension feature. Are you using Dynamic Search Ads? Why? From my expertise, I would not prefer to use Dynamic Search Ads if your aim is to acquire Conversions. ROI for dynamic search ads is not that good when compared to your own structured campaign with specific keywords in place.
3. Are you analyzing the Search Terms triggering your Ads every week or if possible every third day? You will get better negatives and positives keywords there.
4. Have you looked at your Top Vs Other and Search Vs Search Partner Analysis to decide the place where you get better ROI? You will do this from Segments
5. You may want to explore the keyword match types. Start with Phrase, Exact and Broad Match Modifier first. That will provide your better relevant visitors for your keywords when compared to Broad match. Again, this is a preferred method as your aim is to increase your conversions.
6. Wrt, display network campaign, I always go for manual placements to hand pick good placements for my business. I do not use Auto Placements here. Have you analyzed on your current Placements data? Do you see any placements with more CTR? Usually display network placements will always have CTR <1%. Check if any placements in any irrelevant website is eating up all your money. Add such placements to negative list.

Regards,
Balu
www.locsea.com/googleadwordsblog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

I would strongly back Moshe here as the website homepage simply demands the users to enter their email address and then proceed, which is actually a bad experience for new users in my eyes. So first and foremost thing to fix would be this pop up window.

Coming to the Adwords campaigns, Average Position of 1.3 is very high and I would expect heavy amount of traffic reaching the website. Did some one actually reviews the Search queries on daily basis and see what quality of traffic is reaching and whether it is relevant or not?

CTR of 3% doesn't look bad to me, but certainly it should be higher looking at the current ad position.

What kind of keyword matching options do you use? Phrase, exact, broad modifiers etc?

How the campaigns are actually structured? Are they structured based on the different categories, brand names etc?

If the website is not into some customize clothing like putting your own logos, pictures etc, then I don't think it is bad to try out Dynamic Search Ads. Also, if organically the website has large number of pages indexed in Google search then, DSA is certainly a very good option for the search terms which you might not be using as keywords in your campaigns and might get quality traffic. It also depends upon what kind of Dynamic ad targets you have set for your ad groups.

Search Terms would be a key factor and continual review of the search terms, adding the converting ones as keywords inside the ad groups is surely going to uplift the Conversion rate.

Also, organic traffic should be reviewed and including the high quality organic terms as keywords inside Google Adwords account would result in better ROI in the coming time.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no sitemap.xml used by google to index pages. The robots.txt does not show some other type of sitemap. For search engine indexing this is very important.

Even if they have 25.000 indexed pages, if you look at the structure of these pages they are mostly internal search engine queries for products with the same Title "Quick look - xyz.com " which is bad for DSA usage in adwords.

https://www.google.ro/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:xyz.com&oq=site:xyz.com&gs_l=hp.3.....

and a query page looks like this , completly isolated from the rest of the site navigation :

http://www.xyz.com/quicklook?id=39177

The website is well positioned as traffic in India and worldwide according to alexa.com and has a low bounce rate of 30 % but the traffic from search engines is only 4 % and the main keywords that they rank for are the name of their domain, so optimisation for SEO is very low .

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/xyz.com#trafficstats

There are 50% less backlinks than 6 months ago and the anchor cloud is not optimised for what they sale :

https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/xyz.com

Acording to statscrop they have 15.000 visitors per day more than 95% from India , yet they are not indexed in Dmoz :

http://www.statscrop.com/www/xyz.com

On the main category all the Shirts have a generic alt tag like "basics 0" instead of using a descriptive text with keywords.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What is their CTR with PLA ? Their titles seem to put the name of the product on the last place.

<title>Basics Casual Plain Green 100% Cotton Slim Shirt</title>

and also for most of the pages if you look at the source code they have a default keywords tag unrelated to their products like 

<meta name="keywords" content="Magento, Varien, E-commerce" />

Do they have a PLA setup with ad groups for every product and different bids or just the "all products" ad group with a single bid ?

Do they use also remarketing for search ? Because at that visitor count they can reach the 1000 audience list in a single day .

Do they use dynamic remarketing to aim at shoping cart abandoners ? As a retail business they should be allowed to use that and it is listed as an available feature for India also .

They could include in the design some boxes  with suggestions like "recommended products" or "best buy" or "best discount" in order to motivate sales.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian;

No intention to discourage your enthusiasm, and your comments are valid, but still,  this discussion is an  Adwords account optimization case study,  not an  SEO / webmaster tools web site analysis. You mixed the two, and I lost track of the order / sequence and logic of your advice and comments...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Told the same to the client many times, but looks like he wants to keep the same pop-up box and that too without a cross mark!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Well... The client would rather change his position on the issue, otherwise sooner or later, the account will be suspended. It's just a matter of time until Google's bots crawl the site again; Smiley Surprised

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thank you for your useful information. Unfortunately, our participant decided not to take part in this online optimization and requested to remove this thread from the public forum.

Thank you all again for all your help and understanding!

This discussion is now closed to new replies! If you wish, you can join our new discussion from Boost your AdWords Account series.
Best,

Zee
G+
Experts in the Topic
MosheTLV
pankaj1782