Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Blank keywords in Search Terms report

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi All!

I just took a first look at the Searhc Terms report on the dimensions tab. I added the keyword column to the report. Some of the search terms show -- as the keyword. That's all it shows, a double hypen.

Any idea what that means? I see broad, phrase and exact match terms on the report.

Thanks!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Blank keywords in Search Terms report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

Do you see -- in the Search Term column while the Keyword column shows a normal keyword?

My understanding is that -- should indicate nonsense. I have a theory but can't verify it because don't have a campaign recently targeting both the Search and the Display Networks. The theory is this: if you run such a campaign and create a ST report, your clicks coming from Search will be associated with both keywords and search terms. However, the clicks coming from the Display Network will only be associated with keywords and never with search terms because they are clicks users perform when browsing on sites. Hence you may see the keyword for these clicks but not the search terms, that's the reason for the double hyphen.

Okay, that's just my 2c. I would not be surprised to see that but I am not sure about it.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Let me add that time is a factor. Full data is not populated to the search terms report immediately. In my experience, it takes as much as 48 hours for all the data to be posted.

In other words, if you're running a report that covers performance for the last couple of days, you're likely to see hyphens where no more specific data has (yet) been posted into the account.

And, finally, it's quite possible that keywords under a certain threshold of traffic won't be eligible to be matched against search queries in the report. (The feature is quite new and we don't know all of the nuances yet.)  Google normally provides the most in-depth information where they have the most data. For keywords and searches that are comparatively low volume--we don't know yet how much data will be provided for those.

Just my thoughts....

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great thinking, Theresa. That seems a valid explanation too; more likely than mine. I wish I knew which was the right one. Perhaps Pete will find it out ...Robot LOL

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lakatos and Theresa,

Ok, it's the keyword showing a double hyphen, not the search term. That would rule out Lakatos' first post.

Theresa, so I should set the date range not to include the last 48 hours and the double hyphes things will go away?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

I can't swear the double hyphens will disappear. In my experience, most AdWords data is fully posted after 48 hours. I've been things show up later. 

OTOH, most of the double-hyphens should disappear. Give it a try!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*