Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Big drop in phone impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I've noticed a big drop in my phone impressions.  This has been seen across many campaigns - and the drop is as large as 80% for my key campaign.  The normal impressions for the campaigns have remained relatively flat month on month.  The position has also remained the same - hovering between 1 and 1.2.

What could cause such a sharp drop in these phone impressions?

Many thanks  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Big drop in phone impressions

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there,

Thanks for posting! 

Have you edited any mobile bid adjustments within the time frame that you have noticed a drop? Or have you edited or deleted any ads or keywords that were performing well on mobile devices? 

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Phone impressions only accrue if you meet the adgroup level thresholds for click volume/CTR, and phone call volume/PTR. Once you miss the thresholds, you lose the call forwarding number for that adgroup.

1. Look at the adgroup data over time - This month, last month, last 90 days, etc., while sorting your adgroups by phone impressions. Which adgroup(s) are not accruing phone impressions now, that had been in the past?

2. Take a look at the terms in the adgroup, and consider either broadening match types to increase volume, or moving those terms to other adgroups to maintain their volume.

3. In extreme circumstances you may also have to copy, pause, and paste the adgroup in the editor to "reset" the call metrics history. Only do this experimentally, and only with new larger/broader adgroups that are not currently accruing phone impressions.

Optimizing an account for call forwarding numbers call extensions, and call conversions requires a different approach than optimizing for writ conversions or product sales. It's all about volume at the adgroup level. Broader terms, or larger adgroups may be necessary to maintain volume.
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi RachelM, thanks for your note. I haven't changed anything mobile specific.
H

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow Tom. Thank you so much for such a detailed response. In line with your note,
Point 1) None of the ad groups have stopped receiving phone impressions. They've just seen a sharp drop. This has occurred whilst CPC and CTR have remained constant.

Ad impressions have dropped slightly but not to the extent of the phone impressions. Best way to give you to give you an idea - for the top ad group in terms of phone impressions, in the beginning of May, for every 5 ad impressions, there was 1 phone impression. That has slowly been creeping up to 30 ad impressions for 1 phone in June and went as high as 119 ad for 1 phone impression in July.

Converseley I've got a few groups which have seen a sudden increase in exposure (though sadly this doesn't outweigh the loss in phone impressions & thus the calls).

I will try to shift budget to boost exposure of this campaign as you suggested.

Many thanks,
H

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Google just timed out my response or something. Smiley Sad

Anywho - Here's the latest post I wrote on the topic. Take a look and see if there's anything helpful to you. Smiley Happy

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/google-call-forwarding-call-extensions/

Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom,

We noticed something similar with our campaigns recently. When we look at the impressions from the call extensions everything has stayed the same, however phone impressions have tanked. From what I have gather the only difference between a phone impression compared to impression with a call extension is that a phone impression uses a google tracking number.