6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Big difference between AVG CPC and First page bid estimate

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How do I find out the First page bid estimate before adding the keywords to the campaign? I thought that Average CPC was that.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Big difference between AVG CPC and First page bid estimate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Nope, afraid not. The first page bid estimate is based on your QS and is the "likely" bid you'll have to place to appear on the first page. Not what it will likely cost you to appear on the first page.

As per: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105665?hl=en

First page bid estimate

An estimate of the bid you likely need to set in order for your ad to be shown on the first page of search results.

This estimate approximates what cost-per-click (CPC) bid is typically needed for your ad to show on the first page when a search query exactly matches your keyword. Your ad can still appear if your bid does not meet this estimate, but it's more likely not to appear on the first page of search results.
For each keyword, the estimate is based on the keyword's Quality Score and current advertiser competition. If your first page bid estimate is very high, it may mean that your keyword's Quality Score is poor and could possibly be improved.
To see first page bid estimates for your keywords, find the "Est. first page bid" column in your keywords table.
The estimate is not a guarantee -- even if your bid meets the first page bid estimate, there is always a chance that your ad will not appear on the first page. Use the estimate to help make bidding decisions that are right for you.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

In addition to @Dave_Davis' answer:

I like to use the raw data provided by the keyword planner to get an estimate "for the first shot". These raw numbers are not biased by account's / campain's past history. They are the actual  CPCs paid by advertisers.  (Averaged for all positions during the last 12 months)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well I have noticed that some Average Costs are supposed to be $0.00 but when I try to bid on them it says minimum $2.50+