AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding to Position #1 for mobile - is it worth it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we are thinking of doing a test where we increase the mobile bids from 0% to 10% (desktop would stay the same) to gain a higher avg position (end goal to increase CVR, decrease CPA). We're just going to test one campaign that has performed relatively well for mobile vs desktop (CPCs 10% difference, mobile CVR slightly better).  I'm having trouble thinking this is a good idea or that if we're going to do it, we should actually go higher and not worry about CPA: I've been under the impression (get it lol) that bidding to the number one spot can actually decrease your avg position as you enter auctions that were once too pricey. But what about for mobile? For mobile there really is only a few top positions.  

Thanks so much for any thoughts you can provide!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bidding to Position #1 for mobile - is it worth it?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jocelyn,
I think the problem with your thinking is that you think that a lower average position is a bad thing. Why do you think that is? It's not.

Bid for the first position as long as it makes financial sense for you.

For the record, we've had a lot of success with your approach with clients who close over the phone.

Re: Bidding to Position #1 for mobile - is it worth it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, I totally agree with you on that! However, a lower avg position for mobile ( 2 or 3) might be "worse" than desktop because mobile's space is so limited. If we are going to increase the bids, I would go high otherwise what's the point?