3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding strategies

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I launched my first campaign and now it is showing that I'm not bidding enough for first page display. Please image link

http://imgur.com/a/w6Gbl

Do I have to meet all of these suggested bids to show or can I low ball a bit? 

For example, if the "first-page amount is 4.69 can I bid 2.69 and still have a good chance of showing. 

Would a good strategy be to bid half of what the "first page" bid ?

Thanks guys!!!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Bidding strategies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

These are estimates (typically with a broad margin of error)

A better first shot would be the actual price advertisers paid during the last 12 months 

>>"Suggested bid: Your suggested bid is calculated by taking into account the costs-per-click (CPCs) that advertisers are paying for this keyword for the location and Search Network settings you've selected. The amount is only a forecast, and your actual cost-per-click may vary.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Highlighted

Bidding strategies

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

"...if the "first-page amount is 4.69 can I bid 2.69 and still have a good chance of showing."

Maybe, sometimes... You may accrue impressions, on the second page, after peak hours, when your competitors run out of budget, etc. It's an auction based system. If a competitor has a better adrank / bid and enough budget to gain 100% of the potential impression share, then they will outrank you. If enough competitors meet that criteria, then there's no more available ad slots on the first page.

Tom

Bidding strategies

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi,

Experts advises are already there.

In addition, you can go with automatic bidding strategy Target search page location with Top of the first results page or anywhere on the first results page.

The system will automatically adjust the bids of your keywords to trigger the ads on the top of SERP or anywhere on the SERP(as opted by you).

Edit:

As you are using exact match keywords(focusing on conversions), there is negligible chance to have irrelevant queries.

Initially, I would like to suggest you to give maximum exposure to your ads with bids high enough to get the good Expected CTR. Consequently, lower CPC bids will be required to retain the same ad rank.

Regards
Archit

Bidding strategies

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Apparently @Archit had to pass his exams this month as well. Smiley Happy 

Tom

Bidding strategies

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

In addition to what already said above. The first-page bid estimates are based on Exact Match of keywords. For this reason, if you use match types like phrase, broad, or modified broad, your ads will still show up in general. But when you have all your keywords in the exact match already, the difference is usually lesser and hence ads' exposure may be comparatively lesser on the lower bids than the estimates. 

However, a lot goes to what's happening in the auctions and how your keywords are performing there against the competitors.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter 

Bidding strategies

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@tomhalejr,

Hope you have accessed the right link where you have seen the dates of expiring the certification.

Regards
Archit
Experts in the Topic
Archit
Ratan-Jha
MosheTLV