AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding on competitor keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Peeps, I am managing my clients real estate property campaigns & I am trying to target names of other other real estate properties/projects in the same area as my Keywords.

Since, these keywords are not present on my landing pages or ad copies, I have a QC of 1-2 of these keywords, hence my ads never/rarely show up for these keywords.

Can anyone please help me how I can get my ads to show up for these keywords apart from bidding high on them. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @nikhil d,

Branded keywords usually have high QS whenever they are your own. The opposite is valid for your competitor's keywords when you're the one using them. This is due to several factors, but I believe has to do mostly with the fact that your display domain usually overlaps with the brand name you're advertising.

Your competitors' keywords will always have lower QS but if they're essential to your business, the only option is to increase the bid on them. This will let your ads show at least to some extent (even if impression share remains low).

Keep in mind though that the competition's branded keywords may lower your overall account QS, especially if you reach a higher number of impressions with them. If you're planning to use them as principal keywords, consider moving branded campaigns into a different account.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

That's the nature of the beast when bidding on competitor's keywords.  Really it's the honest result because the keyword is not "relevant" to what's on the landing page, and it's not in the ad copy. 

Also you have to be careful when bidding on competitors keywords in professional services sectors.  It can lead to sometimes-intense disputes and hard feelings between the competing business professionals involved in those businesses. Even though the competitor's name is hidden, because it is not in the ad or on the landing page, it is straightforward to ascertain that it's being bid on.  

I was retained as an expert witness earlier this year in a Los Angeles legal battle for that type of situation; and I have seen clients get into some bad business situations because they had been doing it.

The moral of the story is, proceed with caution. Even though Google allows bidding on competitive keywords in certain circumstances, there are plenty of situations where it has led to big problems. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @nikhil d, good suggestions are already here by Steve and Boryana but keep in mind that never use DKI with the competitors' brands keywords otherwise your ads will get disapproved.

@Boryana, there is no need to use separate account, using a separate campaign is the best strategy.

QS does matter but if you are getting conversion with optimum CPL on the keywords which have low QS then it does not matter. 

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

"keep in mind that never use DKI with the competitors' brands keywords otherwise your ads will get disapproved."

Great point about DKI @Archit  but I should add that sometimes Google doesn't disapprove them and then even worse things happen.  It causes competitor's keywords to appear in ads and this often quickly leads to legal bills starting to fly. 

A competitor Google's themselves, and an ad appears with their name in it directed to a competitor.  They take a screenshot, there's a bad phone call maybe, and pretty soon you'll have two corporate law firms duking it out.

That can easily happen with DKI, i was called into the middle of one as an independent AdWords expert, and legal expenses had quickly exceeded $100,000. It was a real eye-opener!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Archit,

Yep! I agree with you it's definitely a good idea to put them into a new campaign - this way you'll be able to have better control over them.

But they can still affect negatively the overall account's QS; why this matters to me is because in theory it can impact CPC on the rest keywords as well. Especially since there is no way to influence all factors defining QS for the competition's keywords, such as landing page or ad copy (we all agree that DKI is a bad idea in this case).

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Boryana,

The problem with using a separate account for branded keywords is it likely will violate Google's double-serving policy in trying to gain an unfair advantage. It's a bad idea and could get you banned forever. The overall account score was used to establish QS of new keywords. That doesn't happen much, new keywords start with a QS of 6/10. I'm not absolutely certain on this, but I do not believe the overall account score is used much. I certainly would not be concerned.

In general: one owner, one account. Even if the owner has multiple domains.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Pete,

You've got a point, I didn't really think of any consequences other than performance/optimization point of view. I was guided by logic but the truth is I've never had the experience of actually isolating a new account for competitors' branded keywords. That's why I didn't take into consideration other risks, such as violation of the double serving policy. 

So if I meet such case, I'd know the right thing to do.

Thanks!

Boryana