Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding on Borad match keywords versus other match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I just started with a new company that is a small b2b firm and the traffic on AdWords is limited.  There is a lot of competition on the market so CPCs are higher for the typical target keywords that I and everyone else has chosen (modified broad & exact match.)  In light of this I have changed the strategy to focus budget mainly on broad keywords without modification, (lower cpcs, higher ctr, similar conversion rates.)    Nevertheless I would still like to bid on modified broads but at a lower cpc while driving most of my traffic from broads without modification.   My concern here is that this goes against the best practice of bidding lower on broader keywords and bidding higher on exacts ect.  Would anyone have some insight into this strategy?

Cheers,

-Tai

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tai,

With an Exact Match keyword, the user can find with an exact search query or with a close variant.

Regarding bidding, I would suggest bidding high for Exact Keyword and low for phrase and broad/modifier keywords.

But still, you have to track which keyword is best for you and what bidding is best for the same.

Hope this will help to understand the match types: Keyword Matching Options

Thanks,

Aslam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand, however, I want to know if this is always for sure  best practice.  Broad keywords are producing a more positive result while traffic is limited, modified broads are more expensive with a less positive result.

Re: Bidding on Borad match keywords versus other match types

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tai L

Well, it's not always a best practice to bid high on exact match and less bid on broad modifier keywords.

It all depends on your campaign results.

Broad keywords help your campaign to increase in impressions and clicks, but at the same time, it's not necessary that all clicks are relevant to your Ad.

In Broad Match Modifier, you mention the main word which you want to be matched with user keyword search. So that you will not get irrelevant clicks and your budget will consume on relevant search queries.

And it's not necessary that you always pay more for Broad Match Modifier or exact match keywords. Google AdWords is based on an auction system that rewards businesses who have high-quality ad campaigns with lower costs and better ad placement.

For more information on How costs are calculated in AdWords

Hope this will help to understand your query.

Thanks,

Aslam

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

What's best is what works best for you. The key lies within the search terms report. Find the exact queries that perform best for you. Then isolate and optimize those terms. The broader terms are generating impressions for more queries than the more restrictive terms. Those queries are what perform best. If the exact versions of the KW's you are currently targeting don't perform, then those are "bad" KW's for you.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response.  Will I typically pay more for a modified broad keyword when it matches exactly to the keyword as opposed to using an exact match keyword that matches?  Lets assume the max cpc is set the same for the both.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tai L

Remember one thing that you have to pay only $0.001 more to beat the competition. Google will automatically pick the best from Broad Match Modifier & Exact Match keywords.

Thanks,

Aslam

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

No. If the bids and all other factors of adrank are equal, then the exact match KW which exactly matches the query is the KW/adgroup that will trigger an ad to show. You don't compete against yourself in the ad auction. Your AdWords account competes against other advertisers accounts. The highest adrank targeting combination in your account will compete against the highest adrank combination of other advertisers.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Alright got the point ....thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the input Tom.

Why will the exact match match for this and not the broad match? (Considering ad rank is equal on both.)  Is the fact that the broad match's possibilities are more vast therefore limiting the number of times that it can participate in each individual auction?  

Cheers,

-Tai