Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding With Rules Per Keyword Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

A quick question with regards to bidding with automated rules at a granular level. 

I did try a similar thing a bid strategy and applied two rules but the CPC range was wide and was not of much benefit. What I would like to do is set up two rules for ad position sweet spot of positions 2-3 with an increase and decrease for the following.

Max bid. Worse than 3.5 (Avg position) increase bid by 10% 

Max bid. Better than 2.1 (Avg position) decrease by 5% 

Both are daily from previous days results at 9am

Does this look sensible to you or am I missing something? I plan to set up on about 20 keywords or so.

Before I do, any feedback would be great or any suggestions for better options would be greatly accepted.

Hope you are all well.

Thanks,

Danny.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bidding With Rules Per Keyword Help

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Danny
This seems fine to me but if you want your ad on the top 3 slots max number of times, then you can try Bid Strategies option in Shared Library, select "Target Search Page Location Option" & check "Top of the first search results page" option.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Abhishek.

The only thing here for me as I understand it and maybe completely wrong... Adwords will use the top of page bids "they set" not your own max bid.
From experience on the campaigns I am running they are are miles out; sometimes both ways (low and higher for top positions)
Plus I want to stay out of position 1 and float between say 2-3.
What I am looking to do is have some control and enter the fair auction rather than be determined by suggested bids exclusively.
Any feedback would be fantastic and thank you for taking time out to respond to this question.

Thanks,

Danny.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Danny, there is a option Bid Automation in Bid Strategies which allows you to set your own Max CPC also. I think the rules you setup are also fine, you can move ahead with them also.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Abhishek!

I will take a look.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Danny.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Danny, I do something very similar on most of my client Accounts and it works very well, as you say, because it responds to "real" CPCs rather than estimates.  All I'd add is some advice from how I work on my own Accounts.

• Using "Previous Day" may not give you a smooth ride, depending upon how many impressions each Keyword gathers.  I use Scripts to examine both the last 7 days and the previous day to spot trends and then use labels for triggers for the Rules.
  • 10% & 5% could have you "jumping around" a bit (depending upon your "basic" Max CPC).  Keep an eye upon how much bids are changing and how many positions you shift with each run - it may be you can use smaller percentages.
  • If you've other data to pull in, for example Conversions, don't forget you can set up more than one condition.  So, for example, Keywords with a good conversion rate could be set to hang around #1.5 - #2.0 while those with a lower rate (or ROI) could be let to run around #1.9 to #2.5 and so on.  I actually use 3 or 4 "bands" for Keywords based upon various criteria.

Hope this helps!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John. I am going to having a think about your suggestions and come back with some questions if thats on ok :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey John,

Just to clarify... If I may :-)

• Using "Previous Day" may not give you a smooth ride, depending upon how many impressions each Keyword gathers.  I use Scripts to examine both the last 7 days and the previous day to spot trends and then use labels for triggers for the Rules.

Do you set your Rule to last 7 days or adjust your bid for last 7 day data?

• 10% & 5% could have you "jumping around" a bit (depending upon your "basic" Max CPC).  Keep an eye upon how much bids are changing and how many positions you shift with each run - it may be you can use smaller percentages.

Good point, I take it you work these down over time once you have found your sweet spot?

• If you've other data to pull in, for example Conversions, don't forget you can set up more than one condition.  So, for example, Keywords with a good conversion rate could be set to hang around #1.5 - #2.0 while those with a lower rate (or ROI) could be let to run around #1.9 to #2.5 and so on.  I actually use 3 or 4 "bands" for Keywords based upon various criteria.

Can you give a quick example on bands 3 & 4 and do you apply these at the next phase of testing when you find the sweet spot?

BTW, gonna have a play with some of your free scripts you built and wanted to say thanks for sharing!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey John,

Any thoughts on the above :-)

Thanks,

Danny.