1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding Strategies for evolving campaigns

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor
  • Currently an account I'm managing is primarily split into 'alpha' and 'beta' groups. With the 'Alpha' campaigns being campaign that consist of keywords with proven conversion history and the 'beta' campaigns being campaigns to test next keywords. 
  • When a new keyword in the 'beta' campaigns starts converting I will move it into the 'alpha' campaign and eventually pause the 'beta' keywords which are not converting and start with a few batch of keywords. 
  • At the moment the 'veteran' adgroups in the 'alpha campaigns have $ CPA bid stratagies while the new ad groups that were created after successful testing in the 'beta' campaigns start off in 'manual bidding'. The only issue with this setting for me at the moment is that it doesn't allow enhanced CPC. 
  • What are your thoughts on this methodology? Should I just set the bidding strategy for the alpha campaigns to CPA on a campaign level and not on an ad group level? Will this not work well for newly added keywords from the beta campaigns? 

Thanks! 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Bidding Strategies for evolving campaigns

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide a little more insight regarding the question of quality score on new keywords. While the quality score you see in your account on a new keyword will indeed default to 6/10, like Moshe mentioned, moving a keyword from one ad group or campaign to another should not necessarily change the keyword's performance, so long as landing page and ad text remain the same. From the the Help Center:

"If it doesn’t affect user experience, it shouldn’t affect quality or Quality Score. Set up your account in whatever way lets you manage it best, and feel free to restructure things like campaign names or the number of ad groups as needed. There is no such thing as ad group-level, campaign-level or account-level Quality Score. Note also that breaking keywords into new ad groups or campaigns (without changing the ad text or landing page) has no effect on their Quality Score. But moving a keyword to a new ad group that has new ad text could change your Quality Score, because that can affect user experience."

And from another article:

"Keep in mind that  the actual quality of your ad and its Ad Rank are calculated differently than the 1-10 Quality Score. That’s because unlike Quality Score, ad quality and Ad Rank take into account auction-time factors, like a person’s search terms, location, and which one of your ads is being displayed.  An ad’s auction-time quality and Ad Rank don’t incorporate its keywords’ 1-10 Quality Score estimates. So if you restructure your account, such as moving keywords to a new ad group, your Ad Rank and ad quality won’t change, even though the new ad group’s keywords might all initially have a Quality Score of 6."

So I would just add that the fear of hurting your quality score should not deter you from moving your keywords between these campaigns, so long as the ad text and landing page are the same. "Restarting" the data you have for that particular keyword should be a consideration, though, since that may affect your own reporting.

Cassie

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Joshua, how are things?

When you move the keywords, they start from scratch on the 'alpha' group. Personally, I like to go another way and try to setup the structure on the most similar way as I want it to be the final structure. That way I just have to pause the keywords that do not have good results instead of moving them from one group to another and lose historical data.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This doesn't work for all accounts, but if you just have the exact, phrase and broad matches of a single key phrase per ad group, you'll never need to move keywords and lose history. Just pause keywords that aren't working, and add new ones from the search query report. This way the ad copy should always suit as well.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I wouldn´t say that a keywords starts totally from scratch when you move it into a new (alpha) campaign.
Google has the historic data for keyword and search query for your account, and I´d be really surprised if they don´t use that at all for keywords that have merely been moved.
Also, if other keywords in the new campaign is similar to the moved one, they can discern patterns, and use dthat ata for the new keyword.
This is not to say that your keyword will take with it all its historic data and perform as good as it could when moved, but I doubt it will start from scratch.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Joshua R;

The issue with this methodology, is that once you add a new keyword into a  campaign (i.e. a keyword which had not gathered  any traffic prior to being added to that campaign), it is assigned a QS of 6, and basically you start from scratch (in terms of the performance of the KW within the "new" camapin).

If you want to  test keywords prior to adding them, you should either do that in a separate ad group or using the AdWords experiments.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/aw9kTjzGLcz

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide a little more insight regarding the question of quality score on new keywords. While the quality score you see in your account on a new keyword will indeed default to 6/10, like Moshe mentioned, moving a keyword from one ad group or campaign to another should not necessarily change the keyword's performance, so long as landing page and ad text remain the same. From the the Help Center:

"If it doesn’t affect user experience, it shouldn’t affect quality or Quality Score. Set up your account in whatever way lets you manage it best, and feel free to restructure things like campaign names or the number of ad groups as needed. There is no such thing as ad group-level, campaign-level or account-level Quality Score. Note also that breaking keywords into new ad groups or campaigns (without changing the ad text or landing page) has no effect on their Quality Score. But moving a keyword to a new ad group that has new ad text could change your Quality Score, because that can affect user experience."

And from another article:

"Keep in mind that  the actual quality of your ad and its Ad Rank are calculated differently than the 1-10 Quality Score. That’s because unlike Quality Score, ad quality and Ad Rank take into account auction-time factors, like a person’s search terms, location, and which one of your ads is being displayed.  An ad’s auction-time quality and Ad Rank don’t incorporate its keywords’ 1-10 Quality Score estimates. So if you restructure your account, such as moving keywords to a new ad group, your Ad Rank and ad quality won’t change, even though the new ad group’s keywords might all initially have a Quality Score of 6."

So I would just add that the fear of hurting your quality score should not deter you from moving your keywords between these campaigns, so long as the ad text and landing page are the same. "Restarting" the data you have for that particular keyword should be a consideration, though, since that may affect your own reporting.

Cassie

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
That´s very clarifying in regard to QS Cassie!

However, does it also take with its conversion history? And/Or to what extent?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi David,

Do you mean in terms of using some sort of ad rotation or bidding strategy that optimizes for conversions? The moved keywords would not take that history with them, which is why you'll always see when you start a new campaign, you don't have the option to turn on Target CPA or something similar until the campaign has accrued enough conversions. So that would be another factor to consider.

Cassie

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Thanks Leandro for the advice!
Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor