AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bid Strategy 'Maximize clicks' vs Manual Bidding

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who advertises his Amazon listings using Google AdWords. There are 2 types of campaigns in the account currently. One uses manual CPC and another uses Maximize bids strategy. The ultimate aim is to increase sales from Amazon listing.

The problem is "Maximize Clicks" strategy brings in clicks at a very lower CPC (50% lesser) and manual bidding is costlier. From my previous experiences, I saw that 'Maximize Clicks' strategy brought in a lot of clicks but the traffic had a very low buying potential. In other words, I feel that Google exactly know the search behavior and when you select "Maximize Clicks" strategy, it gives you clicks that have very low probability of converting. I'd like to have expert views on this.

In this case, I can't track conversions as the traffic is sent to Amazon listings.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeenfer W
December

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jeenfer,

The maximize clicks bidding strategy is suitable to get clicks and improve the SOV of the campaigns not for performance campaign. You can rather try enhanced CPC and Target CPA bidding strategy in your campaigns.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jeenfer

Try to use other strategy - maximize conversions and compare results. But take into account that in this strategy your CPC will probably be much higher.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeenfer W
December

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jeenfer,

The maximize clicks bidding strategy is suitable to get clicks and improve the SOV of the campaigns not for performance campaign. You can rather try enhanced CPC and Target CPA bidding strategy in your campaigns.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Without conversion tracking it is difficult.

I would look at the competing ads, put myself in the mindset of a potential purchaser, and ask myself:

Is my ad appealing and will get clicks from a potential purchaser from any ad position?
Would a potential purchaser click on multiple ads?

When in doubt, the best value position for getting conversions tends to be #3.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jeenfer,

Like Rakesh wrote maximize clicks is not a right fit for you. However, since you do not have any conversion data in the system I would highly advise against any automated or smart bidding since the system has no way of knowing what is good for you.

Alternately, I would like to recommend you focus on importing conversions back to the system, even if at a very bad approximation of a product and not the actual click - feeding the system with signals to what really works for you can in the long run help you move to a more automatic strategy.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I am in a very similar situation as Jeenfer. Have you found a good solution @Jeenfer W?

@Shavit K , while I don't have that conversion data, would you think that Manual bidding is the best fit for me? 

What are your thoughts on the enhanced CPC? 

Thank you in advance,

Rod

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Since you do not have conversion tracking in place, the only two options for you is manual bidding or maximize bidding. You cannot use enhanced CPC until conversion tracking is enabled. Manual bidding is good for you. It helps to adjust your bids according to the demand in competition if you must remain in first page but you have to put extra time adjusting the bids. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved in February 2017.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.