AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Better performing ad at a lower position ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords!

I run a/b ad copy testing for my paid search clients. I am seeing ads that often times have better metrics across the board than the original ad I am targeting in an A/B test.

For instance- AD A (the target I am testing a new ad against) has a higher position than Ad B (the new ad) but lower metrics every where else- higher cpc, lower ctr, lower impressions and lower clicks. 

If I am reading this correctly- the second ad (AD B) may have a lower position (4.7 vs 3.7) but for where it is, it is getting more traction.

What is the benefit of having AD B instead of AD A? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Better performing ad at a lower position ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Ankit C;

This is not something out of the ordinary that an ad, with a better ad-copy, could perform better at a lower position,

Generally, the advantage of the top position ads is the extensions, which are shown which make the ads more visible and with additional information to the user. But the basic remains with an attractive and appealing ad-copy within the core ad-text.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’