AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Better Control of Location Intent Matching - Maps Display Only?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is there anyway to setup an Adwords Campaign that only displays ads to users searching from within Google Maps?

Let me give an example.  Let's say someone who lives in New York owns rental properties in Seattle and need some plumbing services done on their Seattle property. Most of them are going to Google search for "plumber seattle" or "plumbing service" seattle.  We can setup a campaign where targeting is ONLY Location INTENT = Seattle and add keywords "plumber" and "plumbing services"  However we have seen a very low conversion rate on this type of campaign - this is obviously due to the lack of control over where the ads are displayed based on whatever Google's algo is used to determine search intent.  

We believe the conversion rate would be much higher if the hypothetical New York user has centered their map in Seattle, then typed "plumbing service"  Although admitedly, most users in this case when searching from Google maps would probably enter "plumber services, seattle, wa" into google maps (educated guess) so although having more fine tune control on placement of location intent campaign ads is desireable, in the big picture the relative ROI is probably not going to be that significant.  

One can only hope for more fine tune control though.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Better Control of Location Intent Matching - Maps Display Only?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
There are a couple of tactics you can use in this situation that might help.

Here's how I set up this kind of campaign...

Campaign 1 - keywords such as "plumber" with a geo target set to my area.

Campaign 2 - set to a wider geo area, but with geo locators added to all keywords - thus +seattle +plumber

Here's what I believe happens.

A person in Seattle searches for a plumber. Becuase most advertisers are flaky and don't drill down with their targeting, they get results from all over the place. An ad from campaign 1 could show, but the competition is going to be stiff. However, if you have Seattle in the headline (and better still in the display url, and even in the body copy too) then your ad might jump out even if it is in the lower positions.

But at this point most people are going to refine their search, and at this point the most likely refinement will be to add the geo locator.. i.e. Seattle. Now campaign 2 will trigger the ad at a lower cost (because the QS should be better) and with less competition.

In fact you could readily have your geo targeting set to the whole country for campaign 2 because the refinement will almost guarantee that the person is looking for a plumber in Seattle - it doesn't matter where they are lcoated.

I'd try this as an approach.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
There are a couple of tactics you can use in this situation that might help.

Here's how I set up this kind of campaign...

Campaign 1 - keywords such as "plumber" with a geo target set to my area.

Campaign 2 - set to a wider geo area, but with geo locators added to all keywords - thus +seattle +plumber

Here's what I believe happens.

A person in Seattle searches for a plumber. Becuase most advertisers are flaky and don't drill down with their targeting, they get results from all over the place. An ad from campaign 1 could show, but the competition is going to be stiff. However, if you have Seattle in the headline (and better still in the display url, and even in the body copy too) then your ad might jump out even if it is in the lower positions.

But at this point most people are going to refine their search, and at this point the most likely refinement will be to add the geo locator.. i.e. Seattle. Now campaign 2 will trigger the ad at a lower cost (because the QS should be better) and with less competition.

In fact you could readily have your geo targeting set to the whole country for campaign 2 because the refinement will almost guarantee that the person is looking for a plumber in Seattle - it doesn't matter where they are lcoated.

I'd try this as an approach.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Great strategies have been mentioned by Steve.
But keep in mind that the campaign 2, targeting the wider area must not include the same geographic which is already covered in the campaign 1.
So, you need to exclude the Seattle or the same geographic location from campaign 2, which has been covered in the campaign 1(which is targeting particularly Seattle or any other location with same/similar set of keywords).

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Actually I'm not sure that this exclusion is necessary - if a person in Seattle searches for plumber in Seattle it really doesn't matter which campaign they see and since the keyword includes both plumber and Seattle it's ad rank may well be higher which means that the click may well cost less.

Personally, I wouldn't exclude, but (@Archit) I'd be keen to hear your reasoning...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Sure, let me clear my point.

Campaign 1: keyword is "plumbers" target location US(including Seattle)

campaign 2: Keyword is +seattle +plumber and target location is seattle specifically

Now the user query is "plumbers in seattle". So I was pointing that if the keywords are similar then ads from any campaign may be shown for seattle location as seattle location is covered in both the campaigns.
Hence, if someone want that for location seattle only the ads from campaign 2 must be triggered then either seattle can be excluded from campaign 1 or should not use similar keywords.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Nope - that's not the way I was proposing...

Campaign 1 - keyword "plumbers" - geo target Seattle

Campaign 2 keyword +plumber +seattle - geo target US

If someone in Seattle searches for a plumber they could trigger ads from Campaign 1. If they get too many irrelevant results (and they probably will) they will refine their search to include Seattle.

In this case campaign 1 triggers for the first search and campaign 2 triggers for the refined search - so if you exclude Seattle from the geo target for campaign 2 you do not benefit from the refinement....

Someone in New York searching for a plumber in Seattle will probably trigger campaign 2 directly as they will likely include Seattle in their search query. If not they will refine their search even more quickly.

I would not worry - at least not initially - about the fact that both campaigns might trigger the ads - I'd rather have a situation where both could trigger the ads than neither....

The question here is whether someone searching for your service will find you. We need to cover the bases for that as best as we can and I would worry that the exclusion could hurt the wider campaign. We have to remember that we are not working in a vacuum and that there are competitors within the geo area specifically targeting the searcher and plumbers in other parts of the country who are targeting the searcher through the lack of specific targeting (if that makes senses - basically the advertiser who runs his ads for the US when he has a small plumbing firm in Idaho). Running campaigns with the above settings I believe gives us the best chance of serving an ad to someone actively searching for a plumber in Seattle based on the way in which their search may evolve as they get these irrelevant results.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks Steve for your explanation. It helped me to make better understanding what your are trying to deliver that is "I would not worry - at least not initially - about the fact that both campaigns might trigger the ads - I'd rather have a situation where both could trigger the ads than neither...."

Regards