2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best way to change budgets per campaign

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Wondering if there's a better way to do this.
After identifying which campaigns perform the best based on day of the week, I want to add budget to those campaigns for those days (I can do that via a script and also reduce it back down)

My concern is what's the best way to do it.
Here's a scenario where you see which campaigns perform well on days:

Monday: California, Texas, Alaska
Tuesday: California, Texas, Virginia
Wednesday: Georgia
Thursday: California, Maine
Friday: California, Georgia, Kansas, Texas
Saturday: Idaho
Sunday: Idaho

And I have $12,000 for the month to spend here.
Over to you!

Re: Best way to change budgets per campaign

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
First of all, where do you stand with your budget - Are you over or under your monthly target without any kind of ad scheduling?

What kind of optimizations have you made for these markets - Specific ad copy, KW's/targeting, networks, devices, etc.?

Do you have a spend mandate per market, or do you have discretion over budget allocation based on performance?
Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hi Tom,

All optimizations are up to date. And usually go over the allocated budget even with ad scheduling. Full autonomy over how the budgets would work.

However, I'm curious to see how this ties into automation of budget increases/decreases on a campaign level.

Thanks!

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
You can create whatever scripts you want... However - What are you selling that could possibly have as equal value in Idaho and Alaska as in California and Texas?

If California is the best market, then dedicate as much of the 12K budget as necessary to achieve 100% of the potential impression share in California, 24/7. If Idaho can't do better than California any day of the week, then it doesn't make sense to take money from California and direct it to Idaho.

If a campaign is profitable, achieving 100% impression share, and you have more available budget than you can spend on that campaign, only then is the campaign "up to date". In that case you can never spend enough on the campaign anyway, so you have no need for any budget scripts. If the campaign does not meet those requirements, then it's an experimental campaign. Cap your budget, analyze, isolate, and test. If/when you find something that works, then put that into your next best campaign, and dedicate as much budget as possible to that secondary campaign. Under no circumstances should you ever be taking budget away from your premium campaign to dedicate it to another, less profitable campaign.
Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Is it too late to mention that the names are names of products, and not locations? Smiley Sad

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
It doesn't matter whether you're talking about locations, products, services, or types of unicorns. Smiley Happy

What is the top revenue generating campaign?
Are you currently achieving 100% of the potential impression share for that campaign?
Is 12K enough budget to cover the costs of that campaign over the course of the month.

Remember it's pay per click advertising - If there's a day when click volume is down, costs will be down, and you will have some extra budget towards the end of the month you can then put into less profitable experimental campaigns. If you schedule the premium campaign to be off, or have the budget reduced, but end up having a good day, you're cutting yourself short.
The "best" way to schedule your campaigns is to reevaluate "best practices", and try to look at your account structure differently. Instead of creating a campaign for each product/location/service - Find what works best, put it into it's own premium campaign, and focus the budget there first and foremost.
Tom