Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best way to Analyse Keyword Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, 

I've been lurking these forums for awhile but this is my first post, so hopefully someone can help.

As it's the start of the new year it's time refining the accounts I work on. 

The first task that i've been asked to perform is assess which keywords should continue running and those that should be paused. I'm using data for Q3 and Q4 of 2013. I have the usual metrics; clicks, impressions, CTR, CPC, Cost, Conversion Volume, Average Position, Conversion Rate and Cost per Conversion.

I would like to know if there is a way to give each keyword a 'score' using a formula that takes into account the performance in each of the above mentioned metrics. Ideally i would like to perform this calculation in Excel so if there any specific examples that would be really useful.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Murray

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best way to Analyse Keyword Performance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Murray,

Welcome to the forum. You will likely get many answers on this topic, some short and some lengthy.

For me, however, I would consider that it's a very large data set (6 months) and make some cut-throat decisions based on cost per conversion. Ultimately, this is what it comes down to. You have to factor seasonality (i.e. did it too really well in Q3 but struggle in Q4 because no-one buys that product at xmas?) but in general this is what you'll always want to aim for.

So I'd sort the keywords by cost per conversion from high to low, and work my way through the ones that are too expensive first. I would either lower the bids, change the match type or pause them.

Then I would sort by cost and identify any keywords that cost a lot but didn't convert at all.

A little trick I also like to do is, in the Editor, arrange the Max CPC, Avg CPC and Est. first page bid columns all next to each other. Then go through them looking for keywords where the avg. CPC is significantly higher than the est. first page CPC and reduce the bid if you can (if the avg. position is 8th then don't, but for high position terms you can do this).

Hope that helps to get you started, and as I say, I'm sure you will get many more comprehensive tips too.

Cheers
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Also remember to factor call conversions in there too. It depends what kind of business it is, but if you suspect that many of your conversions might occur over the phone (in the absence of proper call tracking), then obviously you can't be so cut-throat with decisions based purely on online tracked conversions.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply, this sounds great

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You're welcome. I think it's worth bearing in mind that those recommendations are based on large data sets and infrequent optimisation.

Once you've 'got the house in order' after doing that, I'd suggest that you devise your more regular optimisation routine based on the micro-factors such as CTR, QS, etc... the things that ultimately cause the cost per conversion.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Murray,

In addition to the above point, you can run the search terms report. Especially the keywords which have high CTR but have low conversion or high cost / conversion.

In the search term you will get some irrelevant search terms that you can add as a negative. On the other hand some search terms that gave good conversion at lower cost per conversion, can add them as keywords in exact match.

Also filter out the keywords that gave 0 conversion and have received good number of clicks, then check, why those keywords not generating the conversion, them you can pause these keywords and try to change the ad copy.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Murray,

In addition to somw great advice above, I would likw to add some points.. Since you are talking about good time range stats.. I would want you to check other areas also along with keywords. I would check network report and see which network is performing. Here I am talking about google search and search partners. Then I would pull out device targeting report and analyze stats. Some times we see that mobile consumin only clicks and not bringing up conversions depending on the stats you can take decision on your next step. Then next step would be ad extensions if you are using any.

In short whnever you have suffiecient stats dig into stats and make optimization.

As Jack already mentioned.. I sort stats (cost/conv) then (cost no conv.) Then ( high number of impressions) with no clicks. I do this in excel and mark underforming with some color. Once I have the stats it become easy to decide which ones to pause which ones to reduce bids and which ones to shift in new adgroup.

Keywords which I marked as underperfoming and willing to pause. I prefer to see search query for such keywords. If I find some interesting keyword in sqr I add them in new adgroup to test.

Hope above suggestions helps!

- NG
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I knew this thread would encourage great tip sharing, well done Murray! Great points Rakesh and Neha!
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

This thread is really great.

There are some very nice suggestions above from others. I would love to bring another perspective to this discussion. Grading keywords in reference with average account performances.

I love this script by Russell Savage which shows you Anomalies of your keywords. I think this is an alternative way of grading your keywords with reference to your average account performance.

I would love to have other's thought on this one.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions. I'm already performing many of these as part of my on-going optimisation but it's still great to see that others regard these methods as worthwhile. There are some great new tips in there as well that i'll be using!

Thanks again!